Thread: Registry Source Path Location

Registry Source Path Location

I am here trying to tweak system file checker. My system is having a problem. It is giving me a serious dll problem on boot. Now when I run System File Checker it will ask for the windows installation disc which I do not have. So I am looking for some option by which I can simply modify the path of windows registry. I just want to provide the location of root folder that is on my pc. The i386 folder lies in the root of my system and I am looking for some option by which I can simply modify the path and and tell system checker to use the root folder in my pc.

Re: Registry Source Path Location

No I do not think that it will work. You will have to use the windows disc only. And here SFC tries to replace the damage file. Even if you managed to change the path and use the systems root folder the files which is giving problem will not work. It will still keep on giving you error. You can download a xp installation disc from the web and create a bootable disc. It is not really necessary that SFC might really ask you for the disc.

That can be done through editing the source patch from windows registry. The location is - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup. In this look for SourcePath key. And then simply modify the value as per your need. I am sure that will be more easier to fix the issue. By the way it is correct that the existing i386 folder in your system will not help you much. There is no guarantee that SFC will use that source but you can give a try.

Just burn the folders on a CD/DVD and then check back. You can use Nero for that. Burn it on a CD and then insert it while running SFC. Somehow SFC will scan your pc for corrupt or damage system system files and when it needs to replace something it will use the disc. It is not really necessary that you need the windows boot disc only. Just run the command and then use the sfc utility and then check back. I am sure that will be more helpful for you to fix the issue.

Microsoft offers a free download of Windows XP SP2 Network Installation. It has the folder which you are looking for. The download size is 266.0 MB. Just download the file and burn it to a CD. Then run SFC and it will use the optical drive to fix the damage file. I am always use this in case of issues. It works really fine and there is no issue at all. I will advice you to download the same and then test it.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

There are some serious registry modification that can really help you to fix the problem you are facing. But it can be risky. I will advice you to do the same on your own risk. First launch registry editor. Click on file and click one export. This is just an backup to restore it case of problem. Now navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup. In that right click on ServicePackSourcePath and click Modify. In the same type the location %windir%\location. That's it. Just run SFC and then test back.

The above process does not work on my system. I do not know why. There was some issue with the dll files which caused a failure. I thought by running sfc will fix the issue but it does not looks to be working fine. I modified the sourcepath for SFC but it is not taking the same. The i386 folder is stored on the second partition. Is it necessary to copy the same inside windows directory. Will that be helpful. I will test the same and check back.

The best way to fix damage system files is by running a complete repair setup of windows. That is more simple and easy to use. You can only use windows disc for the same. Just insert the disc and then hit r to run a repair setup. The repair setup will only fix windows. It will not modify the data or do any major changes but it will just fix and configure the system files. That is one the best way to fix the issue you are facing. I always run a repair setup in case of problem.

Yes I will recommend you to go with repair setup. That will be more better and easy to use. Sometime it happens due to damage dll file the system crashes. Even by manually replacing the file works. But for that you must be aware about the location where the file is kept and you can replace it. While a repair setup just does the same for your without any manual intervention.