Thread: Computer restarts after being turned off

Computer restarts after being turned off

One of my desktop running on Windows XP SP3 started behaving weird. Since past few days it is not ready to remain turned off. No matter how we try to shut it down. If it use the normal shutdown process which is Start > Shut Down. It turns off and restarts automatically. Also if we keep holding the power key, it still keeps on restarting.

I am not able to find the cause because I check all settings, there is nothing in the BIOS set for auto restart, neither Wake Up on LAN, nothing. The only way is to unplug the main power cable as soon as the screen goes blank.

Any idea?

Re: Computer restarts after being turned off

Did you checked the Event Viewer? is there something listed in the logs about this? I guess there is some critical error during shutdown, and the system
    is set to 'restart on error'. Check the Event Viewer log and copy paste the entire message here to analyze the problem properly.

I think the problem is with Windows XP itself...To confirm the same i think you should disabling Automatic Restart. You can do this by going to desktop properties >advanced tab > click startup and recovery > uncheck automatically restart. By doing so if the problem is with Windows, you will get BlueScreen while turning off.

Yeah, thats correct. This is probably windows problem. Dont re-enable automatic restart on system failure until you have resolved the problem. if you receive BSOD dont forget to check variants of the Stop Error message. There is also an alternate way of doing the same by pressing the F8 key during Start-Up and select option - Disable automatic restart on system failure.

I have a problem in my computer, right click then screen sever the power, in this section there is no option to set my computer to turn off after 10 min or witch time i want to set, please any one help me, how i can solve this problem thanks
    Rais

Hi, I have the same problem when my computer shuts off. I turned off Automatic Restart, but now every time I turn it off I get that blue error screen. How do I fix that?