Thread: Changing Administrator Name

Changing Administrator Name

I am having a Windows XP SP2 computer at home. A year ago I had successfully changed the name of Administrator account with some tweaks but I’ unable to remember how I did it. Today again I want to do the same thing on this system but as I said I can’t recall I need help from you all guys.

Please help

Re: Changing Administrator Name

Well you can do either from Control Panel itself or from Local Users and Groups sections. Let me explain the same in details.

Start by right clicking My Computer Icon. Select manage. In the left pane click on Computer Management and click Local Users and Groups. Now in the right pane double click the user folder. You will see all users available on your system. Right click Administrator account and rename.

By doing the same from Control panel, go to Start > Control panel > Administrative Tools folder. Now double click on Local Security Policy and click plus (+) sign in the left pane. Now navigate to the following location: Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options.. Here on the right side you will see Administrator account on the right side. You can rename it by going to properties. .

Once you rename the Administrator account by any of the above mentioned methods, log off and check whether you are able to login with the new Admin account,

Good discussion going on. I am having similar problem. I did the same thing a month ago on my lappy but now I want to reverse the same and make it Administrator again. Can I do the same? Actually wanna reverse back because now every time I boot my system with the same account I get an error message saying something like ‘domain error’. Will it be fixed If I rename it back to Administrator ?
    Last edited by xandy; 27-03-2009 at 12:54 AM.

thanks dude it helped a lot.

Well it is 12/2011.

I installed some software on my WIN XP SP3 Dell and now the Administrator Name doesn't show up.

It only starts up under another user without ADMIN rights.

Also I changed the Administrator's name and don't remember it.

How can I view my Administrator's name? I remember the password.

Quote Originally Posted by gregghilliard@cox.ne View Post
    Well it is 12/2011.

I installed some software on my WIN XP SP3 Dell and now the Administrator Name doesn't show up.

It only starts up under another user without ADMIN rights.

Also I changed the Administrator's name and don't remember it.

How can I view my Administrator's name? I remember the password.
    There is way to get the administrator account by inserting the windows oeprating system in the cd/dvd drive and then booting from it and choosing the option to repair it. At the time of repairing the windows os, you will be given an option with the username and password to be changed, so try to get to it and see if it works.