Thread: HELP!! Lost User Account

HELP!! Lost User Account

Hi, this is my colleague's Windows XP desktop. As few times i use his computer, i created a separate standard user account for my self so that i dont mess up his account or data. I create this new user account yesterday, used it for about 4 hours, turned off it at night and today morning when i booted up the system we found that the main "Administrator" user had disappeared. I can see only the standard user account on the Welcome Screen.

As a troubleshoot, i tried restoring the system to earlier restore point but computer is unable to do the same. I dont know what is the problem. Any help regarding this would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: HELP!! Lost User Account

You dint mentioned the exact edition of your Windows XP. I mean is it XP Pro, Xp Home, etc. Anyways, if you are using the XP Pro edition then simply press "Ctrl-Alt-delete" twice on the welcome screen and type in "Administrator". Press Enter without password. This is the default built-in Administrator account of the system. Now go to the Control Panel > User account and see what is the problem with second Admin account.

If you are using XP Home edition then restart the computer and boot into Safe Mode by tapping F8 key during bootup after BIOS screen. Once logged in create a new admin account, and Import the Administrator settings. Thats it. For more info on the same, you can check out the following MS KB describing How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;811151

Well, i dont think the Admin account is lost. Many times in XP it happens when you create a second user account the Administrator account stops displaying on the welcome screen. However you can make it show up again easily by using a XP Powertoy TweakUI. If you want this Utility simply google for the download link. You can also press control+alt+delete twice at the Welcome screen to get the login dialog; enter Administrator and the password. Once logged in you can migrate the settings from the Administrator account to the user account.

By the way, System Restore will never help you do this.

Thank you very much for your helps guys. I really appreciate that will surely give it a try later tonight. As of now can you please tell me whether i will get the default Administrator back on the Welcome screen if i delete the second account which i created before the problem started?

Thanks again.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;811151

cant open folder options.. comes up with a small but LONG window that i have to drag to the left like 15 times to get to the 'X' in the corner. and it doesn't show any information in the window.. like a video glitch or something.. any ideas?