Thread: New PC Won't Connect to the Internet

New PC Won't Connect to the Internet

Hi I have a small network on my home which was working fine my older computer. Yesterday I bought a new Dell Vostro 200 computer came with Windows XP preloaded. Don’t know why it is not able to connect to the internet. I have tried the settings which was working fine with my older computer but it is not working on this new PC.

When I connect the network it says “Acquiring Network Address”. After few minutes it turns into saying "This connection has limited or no connectivity..." and wont connect to internet. I don’t know what’s wrong. Hope somebody here can help me out. Thanks.

Re: New PC Won't Connect to the Internet

Can you provide me some details about your network, i mean what kind of modem do you have? Is it Broadband modem or Adsl? If it is ADSL then you will need to configure it again and if it is cable modem then simply unplug, power off and replug again and restart your computer. The reason behind this is because cable modems get attached to the old nic card, and won't see the new one until they are turned off then on. Hence you need to restart it after replugging.

RE: New PC Won't Connect to the Internet

Hello !Starr!, are you trying connect the system wirelessly or with ethernet cable? Did you run the wizard to connect and input the Network SSID or the network name then the Encryption key if your network secured? If not, go through the following steps and fix it:

Open control panel and click on Network and Internet Connections. now double click Network connections. Here you will see your lan icon. Right click the same and select Properties. Now under General tab, ensure the Internet Protocol TCP/IP is selected and click Properties. There make sure the Machine Get assigned Automatically IP address and Renter the Encryption Key and the Network SSID then click OK. Now test the connection. It should work fine.

Re: New PC Won't Connect to the Internet

Thank you very much for the helps guys. By the way i am having a wired cable modem. I will try out all these fixes later tonight and let you know the results.

Hope it helps.