Thread: Install programs as non-admin

Install programs as non-admin

I am the administrator of Domain Server having about 30 client workstations. Now there is a user whom I made Super user because he needed to install some programs on his system. Now my concern is do I need to make him Admin or to provide him full rights to give him ability to install programs? If yes, I don’t want to make him Admin or to provide lot of freedom. Is there any alternate way for the same? Please let me know soon. Thank you.

Re: Install programs as non-admin

Making him Admin or providing him full access really depends on which program and the users requirements. I mean, there are several programs which can installed even with the normal user access, similar some programs can also be installed if a user is 'power user' and similarly for Super User and some which cannot be installed without Administrator rights.

So if that particular user is going to install several different applications and such over time - you may want to create them a local administrative account for that purpose and make sure they know *not* to use that account daily - just when they need to install. It's bad enough they have power user rights now.

Re: Install programs as non-admin

Thank you very much for the help Janos. It was great explanation. By the way here is my situation. The user i was talking about is one of our external users and has to drive for over an hour to come in. He need to install and uninstall programs 3 to 4 times a week. And as you said above even i think providing him Administrator rights will be surely a bad idea.

Help appreciated.