Thread: outlook express spell check stuck on french

outlook express spell check stuck on french

I am getting a bit problem with outlook express here. It just freezes on spell check. I am not able to find any proper solution for the same. I had tried to change the language settings also but it does not work. Does there is a separate settings available for Microsoft Office inside control panel. I checked everything. Whenever I run spell check it just shows a french dictionary. How can I completely modify the same to English only.

You can do that through language settings. There is no separate settings available. There are common settings for the language stuff. For that just go in Control Panel and then click on Regional and Language Options. Now go in that and click on Languages > Details > Add. In that look for the US and modify the language. Once you apply the settings that' all your job is done. Restart your pc and then test back. That will be simply more than enough to fix the issue.

French Spell Check Fix
    copy this folder into the "Microsoft Office" folder in "Programs" and run spell check
    ...it will self extract and ...your problem is solved...

[B]Office XP Outlook Spell Checker (Proofing Tools).rar (1.62 MB)[/B

Hi dam66
    I'm confused by the instructions for importing the Proofing Tools as a .rar file. What I tried did not make any difference:
    I downloaded the file, put it into the exact folder you indicated but nothing was any different when I opened OE and did a spellcheck on a test email that I composed. It still corrected only for French and the Options >Spelling screen showed that only French was available.

Then I figured that I had to download a program that can unzip that unusual type of compressed file (.rar). So I did. When I relaunched OE and tried spellchecking again I noticed that it still did not self-extract, so I then double-clicked it so that the the program I downloaded would handle the job. It simply extracted the rar file and put all the contents into a folder that it created at the same location. (It did nothing to the Office folders that were already there.) The spellchecker still only works for French.

I don't know exactly where the various new folders and files should go or what to execute to make them go there and do what is needed. Is the location you said the right one for my Office 2007? (One of the newly-created folders is called Office 10 yet there is already a folder called Office 12.) Did I do one of the steps wrong or is there some detail or additional step that was left out of the instructions?

Thanks for any clarification you or anyone can give.
    Kevin

I appreciate the suggestions and caveas. However, I already had gone through all those articles and forums before I found the English Proofing tools offered by another user. (The post that I quoted almost in its entirtey)I responded to was directly above mine in the thread.) As for there being something wrong with obtaining them from someone else:
    1. I had English Spellcheck ability until I got Office 2007. The function was essentially snatched away. I am not trying to improperly acquire any additional languages which, I realize, are sold separately.
    2. My previous Office version was bought outright and apparently was the source of my orignal spellchecking ability. Unfortunately that was Office '97, and I have found that the disk for that older version offers nothing for the custom install of Proofing Tools.
    3. Microsoft says it will do nothing to help the situation. It only suggests the use of third-party spellcheckers that, even if free, do not integrate as well as the original, do not have as large a starting dictionary, and do not self-start upon Send. If OE has such a clumsy dependency on other MS products that it is crippled by them, it should be Microsoft's code problem to solve, not mine. (No, there was no prior warning to the consumer about the damage that installing Office 2007 would do.)
    4. If legality or fairness were paramount, I ought to charge Microsoft (at their going rate for Help) for all the hours I wasted in determining that it was Microsoft itself that eliminated a feature they had sold me years ago. Worse, what they did was most likely intentional: another small nuisance factor to spur the sluggish sales of Vista, which offers a "replacement" for OE.

That said, your concerns about the security of such a download is well-founded. I did scan for viruses or malware and found none. Also, the files it contains appear to simply different versions of typical Office files, as I expected them to be.
    Regards.
    Kevin

Go in Regional language settings and see whether US is available there or not. There are many non English edition of Office available. If English is not available then you have to download the same from web. You can also get that through windows update or run the fresh setup of Microsoft office in English. Run the clean setup once again and then test back. That will simply fix the issue.

install spell.exe and english will be in your options/spelling tab.

I downloaded the spell.exe and now OE 6 will not send. I uninstalled and French is back, and now I can send.

Re: outlook express spell check stuck on french

The easiest way is doing windows update, install any new version Explore, it will ask you uninstall old one, then restart computer with new one. Once this is done, Outlook express automatically got both English and French spelling check.