Thread: access denied on documents & settings

access denied on documents & settings

I had created an image of old computer. I had used a cloning software here. And I had copied everything to an external hard drive. Later on I added a drive letter to the new computer. But somehow I am not able to access the documents & settings/user directory. When I try to open the folders I am getting access denied error. I am having a Windows XP pc here. I am getting that error constantly on the screen while accessing the files. Can anyone here help me to fix the problem.

The problem here lies with the file permission due to which you are getting that error. But if you are logged in a admin account then the error must not appear. There is a tiny utility available which is called as unlocker. You can simply use that to unlock the folder and then copy files through the folder. There is one more thing you can try. You can simply create the same account in your pc which was in the old one and then after loging to that account try to access the files. That's all. It will work well.

You can here use cmd to fix the issue. There are few basic copy commands which will help you copy the files from any folder to different one without accessing it through windows explorer. You have to first enter the folder by typing ch and then you can use the xcopy command here. You can find ample of references on the same on internet and use that for copying files. It works really well. I hope you will be able to get ample of solution for the same.

Re: access denied on documents & settings

Here is a link that can help you fixing the problem you are facing. Through below link you can find a working solution to fix the file permission problem and it works really well. A number of time the files are simply locked by the old windows account due to which you get through various problem. I will recommend you to read the link below where you can find a proper solution.

How do I restore security settings to a known working state?

Here is one more link that can help you to deal with file permission issue. If nothing works here then there is one solution that can help you. You will need to download a live cd edition of linux. You can use that to boot your system in live cd and then use to copy the files. It works simply well. There is no issue at all. Just boot the system and navigate the folder where you want.

How to Back Up and Restore NTFS and Share Permissions