Thread: No Control Panel, can't open anything

No Control Panel, can't open anything

I noticed that the Control Panel in my system has disappeared? I am not able to click on most of the desktop icons, I will only get hourglass and then nothing. I cannot us run for anything, clicking ok just makes that screen go away. I even tried regedit and cannot click on it, it will not open as well. System restore will also not open. Any ideas?

Re: No Control Panel, can't open anything

Can you try to restart your computer in safe mode and then run the antivirus program and see if that helps. Some programs along with regedit will run in safe mode. Avast! has a Bootscan option which can remove malware before it (malware) gets control. This could help. Try installing it from Safe Mode with Networking. Or download to another computer, put on a thumbdrive, install in Safe Mode, and set the Bootscan option.

When I press F8 then nothing happens, the pc still starts up into regular mode. And there are also no errors at the Windows XP startup. Also, I found out the starting up in safe mode wont give me antivirus programs, the internet, etc. Also when I click on Start and then in Run type msconfig, then I get "Windows cannot find misconfig." Thanks for the reply.

Most of the virus scanner and also spyware scanners works well in Safe mode. You should also press the F8 key at the right time in the boot sequence, to get the menu that offers Safe Mode options.

This same issue happened with me. So, I manually got rid of the files that kept giving me the message about my computer being infected and that I should download their software. I still have no control panel. I thought that a registry entry will solve the access issue of the control panel but it didnt work for me. Any ideas?

I tried most all the solutions provided above. What eventually worked was an offline scan using an UBCD and the installing and updating and running SpyBot Search and Destroy. Nothing else worked until I did this.