Thread: Windows file is missing or corrupt:System32\drivers\ntfs.sys

Windows file is missing or corrupt:System32\drivers\ntfs.sys

I am having a Windows XP desktop. Yesterday I noticed Automatic Update running with windows drivers. Suddenly I faced power cut for about 2 minutes which caused unexpected shutdown between the Updates installation. After 2 minutes when I started the system, I received an error message saying :

“Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys”

And the system is not able to start any more. I even tried running system recovery using my XP Installation disc but not able to recover. I have no idea what else to do. Any help will be appreciated.

RE: Windows file is missing or corrupt:System32\drivers\ntfs.sys

Did you tried doing it in Safe Mode. If not, just try it. Boot the PC, keep tapping F8 key during start up. Select safe mode with networking from the Boot Menu screen and login as Administrator. Now try to download and install kb930916.

Hope it helps.

RE: Windows file is missing or corrupt:System32\drivers\ntfs.sys

Well it seems like your system is having some missing or corrupted file, including the ntfs.sys. Hence what you can do is try copying ntfs.sys from the XP CD by starting your computer with the CD in the CD-ROM and follow these instructions in this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822800.

Re: Windows file is missing or corrupt:System32\drivers\ntfs.sys

Set the BIOS to boot from CD first, then restart the system with the CD already in the drive. If you have to power it up to get the CD in, power it down, then back up again. If you understand what it is that the technote here is discussing, there are other ways to achieve the goal: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys file missing or corrupt

My laptop was working perfectly fine till day before yesterday. Yesterday monring when i tried to switch on machine, i got the error message "Windows could not start because the following file is missiing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys... ".

I went through past threads on this forum and hence try to start by pressing F8 key and then selecting Safe mode with Networking. Then it asked to selecting operating system. there was only one option "Windos XP Media Center Edition". upon selecting that, i got the same error message..."windows could not.... ". Could anybody quickly help me as i am in great hurry and right now i am out of country.
    Last edited by vikas_bpatel; 16-12-2008 at 07:14 PM.