Thread: Windows re-install copy problem

Windows re-install copy problem

I am trying to install Windows xp on my system. There was some virus problem so I thought to re-install the same back. But somehow there is a weird problem here. I am just trying to run the setup back, but things here does not looks to be working fine. I am getting a issue at the time of setup. A number of time there is a file copy error. I skipped many files and windows installation crashed with bluescreen. I am using a slipstream disc prepared by my friend. It has all my required drivers and applications. I had checked all the connectivity options and everything here looks to be working fine. What should I do to fix the issue. I think the issue might be damage memory modules.

RE: Windows re-install copy problem

The problem simply lies here with the CD. You will need to get another one. When the last time you used the disc. There can be some damage file in the system which is causing the failure. It will be better if you check the same and then test out the issue. You can arrange another disc here which is working and then format your system with that. I think the issue will be resolved. Just test that and then try again.

RE: Windows re-install copy problem

There can be two cause behind the problem. The first it can be due to a damage disc and the second it can be due to corrupt optical drive. It is necessary that you must check both of them. Ample of time slipstream disc does not really work well if you had not prepared them properly. Compare to that it is more easy to create a disc clone. That means you can use tools like Norton Ghost to create a clone copy of your entire pc. You can then use it to restore the system back to as it was.

Re: Windows re-install copy problem

I also want to add more highlight on the issue. Last time when I was formatting my pc I got the same error. First I thought the issue was with the disc so I replaced it. It took me really long time to arrange a xp disc. Later on the same skip file error appear again. I checked properly and found the issue was with the ram. I replaced the ram and the problem was resolved. It was really working fine. Using disc image is a good option here. You can use it for restoration. Just try the same.

Hi - failing on thecopy phase of an fresh XP installation is usually due to:

1: a memory problem - has more memory been added since the last time it installed OK? - memory problems can be VERY hard to test for - but (for some reason) the XP file copy phase of a fresh install seems to trip up if there is any sort of memory issue.

2: a problem with the DVD/CD drive - usually the last thing anyone (i.e. me) checks - but it may be a quick fix...

Why don't you just try some other disc. That will be more appropriate. If that also fails to work then you will need to recheck the optical drive. The drive lens might be not proper due to which you are getting the issue. It is essential that you must simply use a another optical media which might work really well. I was getting the error which was due to a damage lens. I used a usb optical drive and issue was resolved.

This can happen to Windows XP Home installs that have been updated to Windows XP Pro. When you get the error swap home/pro CD's until setup finishes. I have seen this issue arrise when SP1 is upgraded to SP2 via the Windows branded SP2 install CD. Then a repair install is started via the XP with SP2 CD. It seems there are some file differences somewhere.

Searching for the file that "Setup cannot copy" on a good working machine in the C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$ directory from a SP2QFE folder and placing them onto a CD seems to work. Might have to re-name the file extension to show an underscore (_) instead of the last letter.

Thanks for sharing yours thought here but I think that it will be better if you can see for what Zaranthos had said above. You can just make use of the two CD’s and see if the issue gets solved and you can have the installation of the Windows XP on your system. I was able to have the installation in this manner once and after I made the installation in this way then there is no issue at all with it yet. Not sure of renaming the file extension; hope that can help a bit.

i created this account to just make this one post.

the above guy that said that this problem can occur if you are trying to do a repair install of xp home oem with a xp home oem. when acualy you are unknowingly repairing a xp pro with a xp home disk..

i had already spent 2 days working on this on a laptop with 5 different disks and 4 different optical drives. sure enough when it asked for the files i ejected my home disk and popped in the pro disk it worked.

i am not sure what happened, but my customer assured me that he had home installed and i can verify that he had a home coa ,but i think some where aloing the line he upgraded to pro.

i thought id take the time to add to this thread, i know its old, but this is good info.

anyways thanks for the help