Thread: ARRGH!! "My Computer" appears empty

ARRGH!! "My Computer" appears empty

My Windows XP Pro was working very fine until last night when i turned off the system but today morning when i booted up, i noticed some strange problems. When i right click Start Button and select Explorer, It shows me options like Desktop, My Computer, etc on the left pane. But when i click on the plus sign on any of my Drives like C, D, E, etc, it wont show up anything in the right pane.

Any idea what has went wrong and how can i fix it? Many thanks.

RE: ARRGH!! "My Computer" appears empty

Alright, just try out the following steps and see if it makes any change. Open My Computer > Tools > Options. Here click on the File Types tab and from the list of 'File Types' select highlight (NONE) Folders. Now click Advanced and under Actions box, select "Explore". Set it to default.

Thats it. Now once restart the system to effect the changes and see if the problem is gone.

Re: ARRGH!! "My Computer" appears empty

Hello SinguIar. Just copy the below lines and paste it one by one in Start > RUN followed by Enter.

explorer /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

explorer ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

Let me know the results.

Thanks for your help buddy. When i ran the first command in RUN command box, it brought up the desktop window where in the left pane, there was desktop/mycomputer/drives etc and in the right panel IE and Oulook icons which are hidden on desktop. And when i ran the second command, it brought up my computer with nothing listed in the window. If I move up I bet the desktop with the two icons IE/Outlook. I can go nowhere else. Now what? Please help.

I gathered some important info for you. Just have a look:

explorer /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} should open My Computer with the Folders pane showing on the left and My Computer listed in the Address bar.

explorer ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} should open My Computer with the Tasks pane showing on the left and My Computer listed in the Address bar. Both should show drives in the right hand pane.

Start > Run . Type: desktop > Enter.
    This will open your Desktop folder. I.e. C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Desktop

Start > Run . Type: %userprofile%\desktop > Enter.
    This will open your Desktop folder.

By the way have installed any TweakUI on your system? If yes, then let me tell you that there are several people who have faced problem with TweakUI as it use to hide drives from My Computer. In such cases you should open the TweakUI, click [+] My Computer Drives. Here ensure that you have check mark the option for appropriate drives.

Thank you very much for telling about the TweakUI. I guess that itself was the problem As per your suggestion i open and found that the check box was not marked. I did the same and problem gone. Help appreciated.

This worked at first. Then when I closed my computer it went back to blank. When I tried to trouble shoot the second time then it would not let me.