Thread: Collapse the "Add to Favorites / Create In" folder tree in IE7?

Collapse the "Add to Favorites / Create In" folder tree in IE7?

Hi, i am using Windows XP Home with Internet Explorer 7 as my default web browser. Whenever while working with Internet Explorer i navigate thought the "Add to Favorites / Create In", the folder tree gets expanded by default. I dont want it to expand. Hence i wanted to know if there is any tweaking method through which we can change the default to collapsed or designate a level?

If yes, please let me know as soon as possible. Many thanks for your helps.

Re: Collapse the "Add to Favorites / Create In" folder tree in IE7?

I had few guys in my group which were the testers of IE7 Beta program. They told me that they already recommended that the "Add to Favorites" be collapsible, but it was NOT one of the recommendations that was implemented. So i dont think there is any way provided by Microsoft to collapse that tree.

Thanks for the reply buddy. That is very disappointing. I thought there would be some registry tweaks built-in in Windows but seems like MS is having some problem to implement those recommendation. Can you tell me if there is any third party program which can help me to do the same? I really want to do it as i it is too annoying to have to look at all the folders everytime in my favorites.

Re: Collapse the "Add to Favorites / Create In" folder tree in IE7

I agree with you Richar. Even i dont like the expandable favorite list. It is unnecessary stuff. I am sure the jerks who made that decision must have very small favorites lists. Anyways, seems like i have worse case then you. In my IE7 it is impossible to add anything more to my favorites list. The best solution to get rid of this error i think is to witch back to Internet Explorer 6. I found it much better compared to IE7.

Re: Collapse the "Add to Favorites / Create In" folder tree in IE7

This is not just one problem with IE7. Infact there are many such annoying problems that Microsoft has done. It has ruined n any functionality gain in IE 7. Microsoft once again has demonstrated that it cannot release a program...no matter what the genre... that is without MAJOR Flaws. How MS is an irresponsible Monopolistic Pain in back side. Are there people out there that still believe in this company.

This falls into the catagory of "if it aint broke, don't fix it." Microsoft really blew this one.

Here's a WORKAROUND. It's a bit cumbersome, but easier than dealing with a large favorites list.

1. Instead of clicking the word Favorites in the menu bar, open the Favorites Center by clicking the gold star under the FILE menu button (or under the back arrow, if you don't have that menu bar visible)
    2. It opens your Favorites unexpanded. Lock the Favorites Center by hitting Ctrl Shift i.
    3. Open the Favorites folder/subfolder you need.
    4. Click the icon to the left of the URL in the address box, and drag it to the folder of your choice. If necessary, you can go back in later and rename it.

Another WORKAROUND. A little easier as it's completely mouse driven and avoids the two handed Control Shift i manuever.

1. View.
    2. Explorer Bar.
    3. Favorites. Favorites Center comes out already locked.
    4. Drag address icon to folder.

I feel quite angry for M$'s changes on the "All to Favorites" functions. This change just makes the function, which was quite easy to use in IE6, now alsmost unusable.

Time has passed and now IE8 is out there. Did this non-collapsable Add-to-Favorites bug ever get fixed in IE8?

It's possible that Microsoft was hiring developers from overseas doing Windows developments. Software quality has been suffering as developers lose touch with end users.