Thread: What to do when windows/system32/config/system is corrupt or missing

What to do when windows/system32/config/system is corrupt or missing

I am having a Windows XP system. It is a desktop by Sony that was purchased a year ago. I had upgraded my OS to SP2. Everything here looks to be working fine but there is some issue with the system. When I reboot my pc I am getting a error the screen. It is windows/system32/config/system is corrupt or missing. I checked on web and found the issue lies with some missing file. Does replacing the file will fix the job. Where can I find the file.

Re: What to do when windows/system32/config/system is corrupt or missi

Try to restart your pc in safe mode. It is essential that you must restart your pc and choose safe mode with command prompt. In that simply type chkdsk /r. Wait for sometime. Checkdisk will simply scan for system for bad sectors and give you information on the same. You can later on run sfc /scannow to verify the integrity of system files in the same. Try to do that and post whether the issue is resolved or not.

Re: What to do when windows/system32/config/system is corrupt ormissi

Boot in safe mode and run system restore. I am not talking about cmd here. It is possible that while running the update due to some improper installation or missing file this kind of error appear. It is essential that you must run the upgrade once again so that the missing or damaged file should be restored. To get the full information on the error go in Event Viewer and post the complete error log here.

This is a corrupt registry issue. I am giving you a reference link that has options to troubleshoot registry errors. System restore will not help here. You had upgraded your system to new Service Pack. There are chances that the setup file that you got is not valid or having some missing files.

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting