Thread: Locally stored profile does not load

Locally stored profile does not load

Hi,

I am using a desktop computer running with Windows XP Home Edition. Since past two weeks whenever i boot up my computer, i use to receive and error message saying:

"Windows cannot load the locally stored profile: Insufficient security rights or a corrupted local file. Windows has logged you in with a temporary profile."

Can anyone please tell me where is the problem and how can i get rid of the same? Many thanks.

Re: Locally stored profile does not load

Did you tried searching it in MS Knowledge Base ? I tried the same and found an Article describing exactly the same problem. Here it is: Error Message: "Windows Cannot Load the Locally Stored Profile". Just follow the steps provided and in case if that doesn't helps, just try out the steps mentioned here:

"Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted" error message when you try to log on to Windows XP

Let us know the results.

Here are few things you need to try out in order to get rid of the error. First of make sure you have the full control on your profile folder. To do the same run the following command in command prompt followed by Enter:

cacls C:"\Documents and Settings\username" /t /e /g username:f

I guess you know that you can just use the cacls command on your profile folder to ensure that you have the full control permissions on the folder like this cacls C:"\Documents and Settings\username". Once done, you will see the username with letters, the letter "F" should be there by your username.

Once you get the full control, simply restart the system and follow the steps provided in the following MS KB describing How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Thank you very much for the help Elwin. That article really helped me out. Turned out to be an easy fix with a new profile. Help appreciated.

Thanks to John John. His DOS command worked perfectly when the Microsoft recommended methods did not for my Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 operating system. After restoring access to my documents and settings I was able to copy all from the corrupted user account profile to the new administrator access account I created. (I did not have to go to a separate account to make the file transfers unlike the Micorsoft recommended method. Also, for your information, when you go to delete the corrupted profile, a prompt appears to copy all files to the desktop. The only thing I have not figured out is how to retrieve my NetZero Internet favorites.

Also, does anyone know how the corruption occurs? This came out the blue for me (I had sufficient space and memory including virtual memory) after five years of using a Dell Dimension 3000 computer.