Thread: my cd/dvd writer cannot read my blank dvd

my cd/dvd writer cannot read my blank dvd

I have inserted a blank dvd into my computer and it will not even get recognized when it is in the omputer. I have already checked everywhere and it seems that there is nothing there. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks.

Re: my cd/dvd writer cannot read my blank dvd

What exactly are you trying to use to look at it? If its explorer then it will not recognize it as Windows doesnt natvely recognize dvds but only programs like nero, etc, will be able to read it. Also, you need to make sure the CD writer is dvd writer and not just a dvd rom reader?

Can you tell me whether this is a new brand of DVD blank media that you are using? What is the brand or type that you have used before? If its a new brand, then there could be a problem with blank media in as much how they are pressed/manufactured etc. To make sure the compatability with the growing range of media, you can try to do a firmware update of the burner that you have.

You havent mentioned like that kind of authoring or burning software you are using? There are many tools available on the to burn CDs and DVDs, an example being Nero which also has the "Nero info Tool", which is able to produce a report on a drive or burner.

HI! I have the same problem with my DVD burner, it can play and read discs with contents, but when you try to burn and put an empty disc, it says that the Driver is still empty... I bought a new one hoping that it is the dvd burner but still having the same problem.

Please help, I still have a lot more important things to do like minding my newborn baby than fixing this dvd player for hours.

Also, I have tried the Nero Info Tool and got the report but I don't know what to do next..

What exactly have you newly purchased, is it a blank dvd or burner? You can try to look at the following link that might be able to help you out:

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us

hi all!

I am so happy that after I post my question, I did some registry cleaning & scan again the computer for possible viruses, then to my surprsie it worked!

maybe it is the registry, or some sort of bugs but whatever it is, I am just glad that it is back to normal and I have a bonus, I now have two dvd writers because apparently my original dvd writer still works and it is not the cause of the problem.

Thank you guys, you help people unselfishly.

Thank you.