Thread: Stop: c0000269 {illegal System DLL relocation}

Stop: c0000269 {illegal System DLL relocation}

There is some issues with my computer. There was a power failure at my place, when the power came back my machine continuously rebooted and it would get to the windows screen with the progress indicator and then go back to reboot. I looked up some stuff on the internet and one of the solution I found said the problem was likely a bad kernel32.dll and instructed to boot from XP cd run recovery, rename kernel32.dll to kernel32.old and expand kernel32.dl_ from the cd. I did that and now it goes a little farther to a blue screen that flashes on screen then back to reboot, I used my wife's digital camera to capture the error message and got the below error message:

STOP: c0000269 {Illegal System DLL Relocation} The system DLL kernel32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll occupied an address range reserved for Windows System DLLs.

Please help.

Re: c0000269 {illegal System DLL relocation}

Have you tried to access Windows System Restore from Safe Mode? Purpose is to Go back to before the Power Outage using a System Checkpoint in System Restore. Just keep pressing or tapping the F8 key while the computer boots up to access Safe Mode.

I have the same problem as JwT, exactly the same error

So, PC is stuck with a blue screen telling the above error. I ended here because my computer was continuously restarting and I applied a fix telling to extract a new copy of the Kernel32.dll file from the original Windows XP CD.

Please somebody help with more detailed how to, because there was not so much help in goggling so far on this error.
    Thank you in advance.

Re: Stop: c0000269 {illegal System DLL relocation}

Are you using English Language version of Windows XP?

more help is needed

Yes, I believe it is a English version of Windows XP, if that means the language used on the user interface of the Operating System.

But I don't have any clue about how your question could help me.

Thank you

Did the error start to occur after you installed an update? How often are these errors occuring? Was Windows XP installed when the computer was new or later? What is the version of GDI32.dll installed in the system32 folder. How you you place the replacement file there? What is your computer make and model? What is your Windows XP CD? How is it described on the face of the CD?

Hi,
    Thank you so much for your response!
    So, initially, I got a different error, my computer was continuously restarting, it apparently was booting normally, but by the time the user interface was launching, it rebooted again. It was such short time that I haven't had time to start anything. The reboot continued endless.

I applied a fix from Microsoft telling to extract a new copy of the Kernel32.dll file from the original Windows XP CD. I did exactly as per instructions behind the link. Microsoft explains that this issue may occur if the Kernel32.dll file is missing or damaged.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310396

This continuous_restarting_error start to occur after I installed an anti-virus program AVG, free edition. Before that I was using F-secure but its license expired and updating/buying online had failed. It's true that I didn't remove F-secure before installing AVG.

But only after doing that fix, I got the error described here about STOP C0000269...illegal DLL relocation ...

Windows Update is on automatic, so I didn't install any update by myself.

This is first time when I got both errors.

Yes, Windows XP was installed on the new computer.

My computer has been assembled out of components selected by myself (nevertheless in 2004 was something). Here are some details
    Intel Pentium IV 2800MHz (800MHz) HT 0.0 2
    Gigabyte Radeon 9200 128MB
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB
    Asus P4C800 Gold emolevy Intel Pentium
    Kingston 256MB DDR 266Mhz original
    Microsoft Windows XP Eng Home Edition UK

Summa sumarum:
    Was the first fix a correct one? Can be that the fix was not meant for my case? In the beginning I did suspect that a virus was provoking that continuous reboot but I couldn't check anymore the computer for viruses due to continuous reboot.

Lucia

Can you try to go to Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View > Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files " is unchecked. You might have to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked. Just try to enter Windows Explorer and locate kernel32.dll in the System32 folder (C:\windows\system32), Right click on the file and select Properties and make a note of the version, and the date modified and post the details. What is your computer make and model? What is your Windows XP CD as it is described on the face of the CD?

Perhaps I haven't made myself clear.
    So, the problem is that I can't go to control panel, my computer is now stuck with a blue screen and STOP illegal error. Before the blue screen, I had the error of repetitive reboot, as I told earlier in my previous post.

Please read again my previous post where I explain in detail how I got into troubles. There is also detail on my computer components. However it is not DELL.

Windows XP CD has some inscriptions on it such Home Edition.

Huh, what to do?