Thread: Window Live Messenger Crashes

Window Live Messenger Crashes

I am here trying to install a new version of Windows Live Messenger here. But I am not able to do the same. Everytime when I try to run after installing the same Live Messenger just crashes instantly. It is not working well. I had tried t re-install that a number of time but it does not worked. I had also here tried to install the older edition but that also does not worked. Does anyone clearly knows about the problem I am facing.

I am going through the same kind of problem here. When I checked inside Messenger Live logs I had simply found ample of errors on the same. I tried to remove and re-install the program but it does not worked. I hope the re-installation would fix the issue. But that does not looks to be working fine. Also when I try to use Live Messenger it freezes a lot. It is not giving me a clear output at all. I performed system restore and it worked. After running the same the system went back to normal condition and has no issue at all.

I had this issue and corrected it via upgrading from IE7 to IE8. I think it was a corrupt file that was causing this as IE itself was also showing error messages and 'needing to close'.

If you are already on IE8, perhaps reinstall it, and if not, then upgrade. Worked for me.

I need Help. My msn live messenger crash on me and it says windows live messenger has stopped working. I was reading the forum and someone say to look for MDM ?/ Where do i have it ?? Do you guys have any other solution? Thank you

Re: Window Live Messenger Crashes

Quote Originally Posted by linlin07 View Post
    Hi guys,

I need Help. My msn live messenger crash on me and it says windows live messenger has stopped working. I was reading the forum and someone say to look for MDM ?/ Where do i have it ?? Do you guys have any other solution? Thank you
    First of all, can you tell us which operating system are you using and which version of the msn messenger is installed on your pc? You can try to disable the MDM via the registry. It will be found in the services if memory serves me correctly - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunServices or it will be in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cuur entVersion\Run. It would be in RunServices if IE installed it.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

I have the same problem. Messenger would open sign in then after a few seconds it would hang and close.
    My system is up to date running Win7 Ult. 64bit. msgr version 15(Beta)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Heres the error messages (2 of them) associated with the crash from Event Viewer:

1st) Faulting application name: msnmsgr.exe, version: 15.4.3002.810, time stamp: 0x4c620b81
    Faulting module name: WMADMOD.DLL, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdb65
    Exception code: 0xc0000006
    Fault offset: 0x000a1181
    Faulting process id: 0x111c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb448130e88020
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WMADMOD.DLL
    Report Id: 0e55268a-b075-11df-8c12-0026b6801638

2nd) Windows cannot access the file C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WMADMOD.DLL for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Windows Live Messenger because of this error.

Program: Windows Live Messenger
    File: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WMADMOD.DLL

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
    User Action
    1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
    2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
    - It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
    - It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
    3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
    4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
    5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
    Error value: C0000185
    Disk type: 3
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I first started having problems with the whole Live Essentials suite a while ago where messenger wouldnt signin and Live Mail would shutdown but repairing the installation fixed the problem. Up until recently it was working fine (though I havent used msgr for a few months now) having tried to signin msgr would close out. This also happens on my 32-bit Win7 Ult. on a different computer. Maybe the issue comes about due to conflicting updates from Microsoft Update tho, since version 14 I havent noticed any updates specfic to msgr or Live in that case. I am now running the beta version of Live Essentials(version 15), reinstalling v14 didnt rectify the issue. Deleting the cache and contacts hasnt worked either.

What gives?
    PS. the WMADMOD.dll that the error refers to does exist in that location it points to.
    Last edited by BiggaStill; 26-08-2010 at 12:40 AM.

Sooooo, think I answered my own question. Upon trying various things, editing the registry, I deciding to look more into that missing WMADMOD.dll file. I just downloaded it from and copied it over the file that was there. Whalah it worked. The .dll I downloaded was considerably smaller than the original (400kb vs 834kb) I ran a virus scan using ESET and reported clean. See attached. Use at your own risk, verify that it doesn't contain any harmful code before using. If possible I would recommend getting the file off a friends computer whose msgr works.

If you get the error message in Event Viewer posted in my previous reply try this. This worked for my 64-bit windows system.

1. Obtain a safe working copy of WMADMOD.dll
    2. Navigate to your Windows installation folder ie. C:Windows\SysWOW64 and locate WMADMOD.dll. You will need to take ownership of the file before overwriting it. Open the command prompt and type: TAKEOWN /F C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WMADOD.dll (replacing C: with the drive letter your system is installed on.
    3. Copy the WMADMOD.dll file you downloaded to the Syswow64 folder and overwrite the original file.
    4. Start up msgr and sign it. It should work.

This seems to be a problem created by a security update from Microsoft for its media services.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wmadmon_scan-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BiggaStill View Post
    You will need to take ownership of the file before overwriting it. Open the command prompt and type: TAKEOWN /F C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WMADOD.dll (replacing C: with the drive letter your system is installed on.
    3. Copy the WMADMOD.dll file you downloaded to the Syswow64 folder and overwrite the original file.
    4. Start up msgr and sign it. It should work.

This seems to be a problem created by a security update from Microsoft for its media services.
    Note you will need to login as an administrator to do so, or open the command prompt in admin mode to take ownership of files.