Thread: CDROM and DVD not recognized

CDROM and DVD not recognized

I am having a windows xp pc. I bought a external usb CDRW. I am also having a internal optical driver which is a IDE drive. It stopped working. When I try to load some cd or try to use it I am getting a error that it cannot load the device driver. The system just freeze on that. The drive is new. I had hardly used the same for 2 months. Does anyone knows about the problem. I am not able to locate the drivers.

Re: CDROM and DVD not recognized

Try to go in device manager and see whether the optical drive is installed or not. You will need to re-install that. The error appear when the drive fails to work due to driver problem. Simply go in device manager and then uninstall the same. Then restart your system and wait back. Windows will install the optical drive back again and done.

You said that you are having a usb optical drive. Is that working. If the optical drive is under warranty then simply ask for replacement. It looks like some kind of hardware fault in your pc. The most you can do is simply check the cable connectivity also. It might be working well if there is some kind of cable fault.

There is one more place where you can test whether the optical drive is working or not. You have to go in BIOS. If the drive is detected in bios then there are chances of making it work. Driver updates will do the job. But if not then simply forget it. It is damaged. As said above just change the cable and see. I hope it would work and might be a cable issue.

Go on the official manufacturer website of that optical drive and locate the drivers there. I am sure that will be more than enough to fix the problem. In that you can simply update the drivers and then check back. There are some firmware updates also available which makes it more better in terms of performance. I am sure that can be helpful to some extent.