Thread: epson scanner driver won't install

epson scanner driver won't install

I am having two computers at my home one running with Windows 98 SE and another with Windows XP desktop connected with Perfection 2480 scanner. My problem here is with the scanner which was working fine but stopped since yesterday. I thought could be driver problem hence uninstalled its all drivers and tried to install the drivers again from the CD came with it.

Whenever I insert the CD, my system freezes first and after 2 to 3 minutes it starts the setup. After running setup for about 20 seconds, it gives me an error saying “an error occurred during startup. Restart your computer and run setup again”. I restarted my system more than 10 times and every time I run setup, I get the same error.

I am sure there is no problem with the disk because it is running fine on my second computer, i.e. Windows 98SE. Any help ?

First of all go to control panel, click Printers and scanners. Delete everything you see here related to your scanner.Also delete if you have printer software installed. Once done, restart the system and connect your scanner cable with your computer. You should get a notification balloon in the system tray saying New hardware found. Click on that ballon, if it is unable to get the drivers, it will ask you to install manually.

Here just insert the CD and give the path of the CD drive in the driver installation window. That’s it. Other than this you can also download the drivers from internet in .exe file and install the same.

Re: epson scanner driver won't install

I have been through the same issue with one of my Epson scanner, after lots of workaround finally I found a solution that worked for me. You must follow the same as well. First of all restart the system after unplugging the scanner.

Now locate Epson directory and delete it. Usually it should be at %rootdrive%:\WINDOWS\twain_32 directory. Also search your system and delete everything you find with the name Epson. Also delete its entries from registry. Now insert you CD and browse for a WinZip file named something epson11374.exe (this was the name in my case). Once installed, connect the scanner again and reboot once more. You are done.

This is a personal thank-you for explaining how to fix this problem - I was pulling my hair out and Epson support were no help at all.

I had a hard time over the last two days trying to get the scanner running again, all works now! Thank you Les, any idea how to get a shortcut on the desktop for scan program?

I had a similar problem. Epson Artisan 835. Windows XP SP3. "COULD NOT FIND THE FILES TO INSTALL THE SCANNER DRIVER". From Epson's support site. This is a FILE EXTRACTION problem. They use WINZIP to extract and install their software. I solved my problem using EXPRESS ZIP to extract and install "SCANNER DRIVER and EPSON SCAN UTILITY v3.772" this must be done first....Then download and install "DRIVERS and UTILITIES COMBO PACKAGE " WINZIP is used for this....All will work fine...Hope this info helps someone.

Put the installer .exe in a directory, all alone. This will keep it from exhibiting an annoying and confusing bug.

Suppose you launch one of the driver + Epson Scan installers from your download directory. For example, launch the 64-bit installer for the Epson Perfection V300 Photo scanner.

Suppose also that your download has a file named setup.exe in it from other installer. For example cygwin or an unzipped setup.exe from an old version of Norton 360.

Try making a copy of Notepad.exe into the directory with the installer in it. Rename notepad.exe to setup.exe. Try to install.

I downloaded SysInternals Process Monitor, set up some filters, and watched the installer .exe poke around setup.exe and then launch it. I imagine it is checking to see if setup.exe is there and, if it is, just assume that it is the RIGHT setup.exe...