Thread: The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located

The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located

I am getting a error related to some SHLWAPI.dll on my windows xp system. The error is constant and it is quiet annoying. Before there was some kind of un-installation error. I installed a hotfix that I found on web and now there is a new error. Even after checking for windows update I am not able to find anything. Updates are simply not working here. The complete error that I am facing is "The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic library SHLWAPI.dll". Does removing the updates can help here.

Re: The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in t

The error that you are facing is mostly associated to Windows SP XP Upgrade. Did you have recently installed SP3. It is essential that you must install SP2 properly first and then go for the next SP3 update. Or else the issue will be common. You can try running system restore here that helps me a lot to revert old settings. You can try removing the old updates also. Just go in Control Panel and search for updates that has installed recently. Remove them. And check again.

Re: The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located

The error that you are getting simply means that you need to get the Service Pack 2. Also you are suppose to install Service Pack 3 after you install SP2. You can download the service pack 1 update manually from this link - http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...35-SP2-ENU.exe. After installing it you can further download the service pack 3 from this link - http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...P3-x86-ENU.exe. After that run the Internet Explorer 8 installer and then you wont get error message.

Re: The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located

If the above solution doesnt work then try to go to http://update.microsoft.com and then check for any updates and install them. Even after this the problem doesnt work then it looks to me that your shlwapi.dll file is either corrupted or infected by some virus. So, you can try to scan for the viruses in your pc and remove it with Live OneCare safety scanner if you want.