Thread: How to move Documents and Settings folder to another drive?

How to move Documents and Settings folder to another drive?

I am having some issue with document and settings folder here. The same here is moved and due to that I am facing a issue here. I had simply moved the folder to an another hard drive here. Now I am trying to use Acronis to recover the file. I am having a image of my system. But when I try to do the same I am getting a error on the screen. It looks the folder is corrupted and I cannot recover the same. Is there any more option available here that can help me to fix the issue that I am facing.

Re: How to move Documents and Settings folder to another drive?

If you are trying to restore some system folders then it will be not possible. This will be more complicated I think. You have to run a complete image restore which is the only option available here to fix the problem you are facing. Just run the complete image restore and then test back. I am sure that will be simply more than enough to fix the problem you are facing.

There is no way to change the storage location. You have to simply use the default location only. I think that would be easy to some extent and that wll be working quiet well also. Just right click on my pc and then simply click on My Documents. There you can find the properties section. Where you can simply modify the My Document Target Location and this works really well. It is one of the best way to fix the problem you are getting.

I to agree that you must simply go with complete restoration. According to me the restoring of an image of the C partition will be better if you do that fully. If you do that partially then there will be ample of issue you will face. Complete restoration is one of the best way to fix problem you are facing in your system. You can create a bootable disc here which is another good way of fixing the problem. But restoration some peculiar tool is not possible. The feature must be included inside the recovery tool itself.

So when I restore the ghost image to the C: drive Parartition I won't loose the users profile that is located on the Documents and Settings folder. I suggest you disregard the article to which you referred. First - never have your primary backup on a partition located on the same drive or partition containing the info you are backing up - obvious reason - lose the drive and you have lost the backup. A file or complete PC backup will include the Documents and Settings folder - no need to "handle" it separately. Take Acronis True Image - it can create "Acronis Secure Zone".

I moved my target for my "documents and settings" from my C: to my D:drive (289G).

However, after doing so I still see the "documents and settings" folder on my C: drive and it is 15.6G with over 23K files/3K folders.

So how do I move the "documents and settings" folder to the d: drive and free up this much needed space?

Install the Tweak UI, which used to be part of the Windows Power Toys (not available from Microsoft at present, but archived on some websites).
    It lets you move some folders, but individually, for each user, like My Documents. This will take a long time.

I moved my target for my "documents and settings" from my C: to my D:drive (289G).

However, after doing so I still see the "documents and settings" folder on my C: drive and it is 15.6G with over 23K files/3K folders.

So how do I move the "documents and settings" folder to the d: drive and free up this much needed space?
    Just Log into that user account from where you have to move. After that Right click on "My Documents" go to "Properties" after that modify the path you see in that box. Click on "Move" This will transfer your My Documents folder in excess of the other drive. As for any additional folders filling up the Documents and settings. Either you necessitate cleaning your temporary folder (3-4 folders per user) or a bit program cleaning.