Thread: How to recover damage bkf files of Windows XP on Windows 7

How to recover damage bkf files of Windows XP on Windows 7

I had copied some bkf files from a old Windows XP documents. I am working in a accounting firm where I we are using a very old society bill generator software. It does not work on any new edition of Windows. Now to keep the data safe we run a regular backup. I am using Windows backup here. It generates some bkf files which I copy in a separate pc. Now somehow that old pc has stopped working. There is a hardware issue that. Luckily a software engineer has helped us to develop a new edition of that society accounting software for Windows 7. The tool generates a month wise bill for different co-op societies. It generate a file which is readable in excel in columns. All old bills are in the bkf files. I tried to open that in another XP laptop, but Windows is giving me error or damage file. I tried to open that in Windows 7 also it is still not working. I need some help here to recover data from it. Atleast someway to repair it.

Re: How to recover damage bkf files of Windows XP on Windows 7

What is the exact error you are getting. It is related to corrupt or damage file. Because if that backup file is corrupted then there is no way to recover it. But there are some bkf repair tool that you can try. Just search on Google. I will advice you to fix your old pc back, extract the files and the move them to new system. That will be more reliable process.

Try Advanced BKF Repair. I had used this long time before when I faced the same kind of issue. The tool is capable of fixing bkf files when they are damage. It is necessary that the file is properly copied into new location. If this works then you do not need to mess with the old systems. But there is no 100% guarantee that this will work. Atleast you can try. The tool is capable of scanning your system and locating bkf files for recovery. To some extent it also works on corrupted bkf files. It works for all version of Windows. That is the reason I recommend you this. It is not just limited to Windows XP or Vista. There are two version available. The first is free that offer you minimum benefit for short period and the other one is a paid version. Just download the trail and test. If this works then you can upgrade that to a full version. The software guarantees recovery. It has a money back scheme if it fails to work. So you can trust on the same. You can download the trail edition from web and test it. There are some tiny extractors also available. But I am not sure whether it works on damage files or not. The extractor just helps you to extract the files from compressed bkf files.

Nothing works here. I had also faced the same thing on my laptop. The difference here is I am using Windows 7 instead of Windows XP. While searching on web I found SysTools BKF Viewer. That only allows you to view the files instead of extracting it.

That is because you had downloaded a viewer . Look for SysTools BKF Repair software. This tools somewhat helps to extract files from damage bkf files. I am not sure how effective it is, but I think this can help you. It is not really complicated to use. Do not try different tools on a same file. Try to create separate copies. So that different tools does not damage it more. The software works in simple manner for recovery. You can expect to get maximum data out. Also one of the best point that I found in its feature list is maintaining the data integrity of bkf file. Ample of time different tool might repair the files, but they become unusable. Another feature which will be helpful for you here is to extract a specific folder only. This tool has options for that. You can simply browse towards the files and folder which you want and extract that only. It is capable of fixing backup errors. Download the tool and use it and then try to open the same back in Windows XP.

The best software according to me will be Stellar Phoenix BKF Recovery Software. This is a great software for bkf recovery. I am sure this tool will help you to recover your backup files. This tools offer you a preview before recovery so that you have more choice to recover important data only.

I think you people are wasting time. I had gone through the same thing and yet not found any appropriate solution. It was long back when I use Windows Backup utility as the default backup solution. The process was automated based on timely settings atleast once in a day. It overwrites the old files automatically. Suddenly my ram stopped working. The system was unable to boot. So I moved the hard drive to a new pc which was having the same Windows XP in it. I remember the last backup location. I double clicked on the files and it opened in Windows Backup utility. I will also recommend you to do the same. Connect the hard drive from your old pc to any working with same kind of OS on it. Then open the file. It will surely work. There is no need to run this backup tools. I think you are trying to open a old files on new Windows platform due to which you are getting all those issue. This might surely work. Unless and until the file is not completely damage. And there are no tools on the web which are capable of restoring damage files.

I don't understand how this tools really work. It is better to use a more better software instead of Windows Backup Utility. It is basic and not reliable while there are advance tools like Acronis Backup & Recovery, Acronis True Image, NovaBACKUP, etc. This tools are really great loaded with tons of new features and has simple backup process also. Along with regular file backup purpose it also works really well with entire system image recovery. So you can add a complete protection in your system.

Pele1200,

There is one solution by which you can recover lost data from your damaged BKF file. You can use a third-party tool to recover data. I have used a third party tool of SysInfoTools and i found it very efficient and reliable. In case of BKF recovery I would recommend you SysInfoTools Backup Exec BKF Repair software. But try its free demo version before purchasing, by using demo version you can see the preview of your recovered data.