Thread: Explorer.exe loads, but taskbar doesn't

Explorer.exe loads, but taskbar doesn't

Good morning/afternoon/evening, everybody.

I'd like to ask you all a question about WinXP that I just couldn't find an answer for on the internet.I'll try to be as meticulous as I can.

It started some weeks ago. Every time I logon to my Windows Xp, explorer.exe DOES load, but taskbar apparently won't by any means. There is not a thing I can do when this happens but to open Task Manager with Ctrl+Alt+Del (or Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and try opening my common programs by its "run" option. I have no start button, no quick launch icons, no tray system icon nor clock (the latter drives me crazy, I kind of need a clock at all times).

I manage to display taskbar when:
    1) I boot in security mode;
    2) I run a disk check with CHKDSK -F

The problem is, #2 only works for the 1st boot after the disk check. From the 2nd on, taskbar won't load anymore.I already read on other sites and forums that re-formatting my system could solve my problem. But my pc already came with Windows XP (Service Pack 3, by the way) OS installed, i.e., I don't have a boot cd.
    A solution to this would be downloading a pirated .iso of the boot cd, but honestly I didn't - and don't - want to do this.

Also, I realized that, if I create another account and logon to it, taskbar DOES load and then I can go back to my standard account; taskbar will be there, along with an "Active Desktop" warning. I don't know what it means, even though I tried all the steps it tells me to do.
    Solutions:
    #1 Make a new profile/account and start using it;
    #2 Logon and logoff everytime user wants to use pc.

Problems to those:
    #1 I didn't want to use another profile due to all my stuff stored in my standard paths and directories;
    #2 Logging on and off everytime I want to use my pc is kind of tiring.

So, I think this is it.

OS: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 Version 5.1.2600
    Once again, I didn't manage to find any answers to this by googling it, and if there is already a thread treating of this problem, I apologize and ask for a link.

Thanks in advance,
    Fawers

Re: Explorer.exe loads, but taskbar doesn't

So, nobody?

Have you tried running a chkdsk? It could be that you corrupted or deleted explorer. You can try to replace it by going to another computer with win XP, search for explorer.exe, write down the filepath to it. Copy it over to a flash drive or something and then copy it from the drive to the same location. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by simond View Post
    Have you tried running a chkdsk? It could be that you corrupted or deleted explorer. You can try to replace it by going to another computer with win XP, search for explorer.exe, write down the filepath to it. Copy it over to a flash drive or something and then copy it from the drive to the same location. Hope that helps.
    Indeed have I tried. I said on my above post, that I tried...
    Well, first I'll have to find a computer with SP3 installed. My brother's WinXP is installed with SP2 and the "copy explorer.exe from A to B" scheme didn't work. Not only that, FC has returned lots and lots of differences between SP2 explorer.exe and SP3 explorer.exe.