Thread: Missing DCOM Server Process Launcher entry

Missing DCOM Server Process Launcher entry

When I launch services.msc the DCOM Server Process Launcher seems to be missing. This is causing me to have problems with installations and such of new programs.

Is there any way for me to add the process again?

Thanks

Re: Missing DCOM Server Process Launcher entry

I guess your system is affected by rootkit TDL3 and to deal with the same I want you to download the finest of antivirus and scan the whole system. I hope it will work.

Missing DCOM Server Process Launcher entry

So... Any ideas? Having the same problem, no virus.
    Edit: if someone with XP could export HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services into a .reg file and post it here, I would be much grateful: just importing the appropriate entry should fix the problem for me.

Edit №2: it looks like I will also need the information from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\

Edit №3: I got the above two files; but now when I type in:
    regsvr32 Rpcss.dll

I get the error:
    Rpcss.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
    This file can not be registered.

I tried run sfc/scannow, but apparently it requires DCOMLaunch service in order to execute; I then replaced the rpcss.dll file by the original Windows XP file, but alas also to no avail. Any ideas? I am waiting to hear ideas before I reinstall everything on my computer (which I do not mind, but would like to fix this because it is a commonly recurring error.)

Hi Aleksandr,

Did you try to repair installation? Even though you are saying that its not a virus issue but still it's probably the virus in the past that might had corrupted some of your system files. So I would suggest to do repair installation and then use a system fixer or a utility program that would remove some issues, registry errors, etc.

Yes, you are correct: when I said it was a commonly recurring error, I was referring to the fact that I had a certain virus (which I get infected with quite a bit, since I do not have an antivirus against it). That virus infects the DCOM Server Process Launcher service, and the stand-alone virus remover that I use decides to simply delete the DCOMLaunch service (since it cannot be stopped while Windows is running) in order to fix the underlying svchost file. When you are suggesting that I repair the installation, you mean go in with the XP disk, click R on the menu, let it recopy the files, and then go through the installation process again, right? If so, unfortunately that is not a preferable option for me. The XP I have is the pre-SP XP: it has had a service pack installed subsequently. When I repair, the pre-SP files are restored, and then my sound card stops working (it is a rather finicky sound card, and even having some of its installation files from other drivers, e.g. from installing the network before sound, makes it not work). Consequently, even installing SP1 subsequently does not make the sound card work again. So I have to do a clean install in that case. So once again, waiting for suggestions.

Hi Aleksandr,

What do you mean by saying that you have a pre-SP XP, does that mean that you have a windows xp cd with no service packs? Even though if you dont have service packs you can simply get the latest SP's from the windows update catalogue, by simply turning on your automatic updates or going to the microsoft site and updating the xp to the latest service packs. By the way which sound card do you have. By simply installing the sound card drivers, still the sound card doesnt works?

… Sorry, I thought I posted my response, but apparently not.

What I mean is that my CD does not have service packs... so when I boot from the CD and click 'R' (if that's what you mean to try to repair it), pre-service pack files are restored into the windows folder.

I have the RealTek High Definition Audio sound card... and if I install it right after installing an XP service pack, it works just fine. However, if some of the files that it would create are already present (e.g. from an old installation, from another driver installation, &c.), then it does not reregister (I think, into regsvr32 or something) those files, and the sound ends up not working.

Well, I think that you will have to do a complete fresh install of Windows XP because it seems that the windows system files have been corrupted by some of the virus that struck you in the past which is what making the drivers either corrupt or non-functioning due to which the sound card is not working. So do a fresh install and install the sound card drivers and then update it to latest windows service packs.

Well, I mean I could have done that all along… the main reason I am posting here is because that is a commonly recurring problem, and I do not wish to reinstall every time I get that problem. I have the original SYSTEM32 files that I can restore if need be, and the rpcss.dll file is *not* corrupted... My sound card *is* working, but it stops working when I reinstall unless I delete files off the disk first.
    Last edited by Aleksandr; 21-06-2011 at 11:37 PM.