Thread: dvd rw formatting with windows xp

dvd rw formatting with windows xp

cant find a download to format/erase dvd rw on my windows xp. Did not want to purchase anything considering I just needed something to format the rw dvd and already have divx to burn the dvd. My laptop has vista to format the dvd but xp reads the disk with 0 space available but vista shows 4.37 available, no clue what the deal is here.
    need help on this......

Re: dvd rw formatting with windows xp

If you put the dvdrw in the drive and then rt click its icon in My Comp, format should be availabe to select. And if you have Nero 7 Ultra, that comes with InCD. InCD and a properly formatted CD/DVD allows you to "Drag and Drop" files to CD/DVD as if it was a floppy disc. IF this is what you did, you will need to load/run InCD, insert previously formatted DVD and choose an option to erase / remove format.

I have windows xp, it will not format the dvd rw and I dont have nero. I am using divx program to burn the dvd only. I have been trying to find a free 3rd party software to format the dvd rw in order for it to work on xp. I have tried using my laptop with Vista but Xp does not recognize the dvd as being free of space, it shows dvd under properties with 4.37 gb of used space where the vista shows the same dvd after being formatted with 4.37 gb free space.
    I have tried all 4 options of udf format (1.0,1.5, 2.01, 2.5) on the vista os.

Try using Active DVD Eraser. This is a free software for erasing Rewritable disc. It can erase data on a DVD-RW, DVD + RW or CD-RW. The program automatically recognizes the drive and offers two types of option of deleting files on your CD or DVD. It is fast and you can also burn your disc with this tool. It uses a secure method to wipe out the entire surface of the disk and rewrite data on that in the most neutral way so that it can be used on other systems also.

I like a freeware program for ease of use. Copy, erase, Audio, Data,+ ISO Burning. "CDBurnerXP" on filehippo.com/CD & DVD tools. Also, my home DVD recorder will erase a re-writeable DVD disc when the computer has trouble with the current format. I have Roxio's software, but it rejects many disks as unreadable.