Thread: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL at start-up

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL at start-up

Hi everyone,

I've been having an INCREDIBLY frustrating problem with my Windows XP Dell Laptop lately. It works absolutely fine at home, but every single time I take it to university it refuses to start up - I instead get the Blue Screen of Death, saying that Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to my computer followed by -

*** STOP: 0x000000A (0x400008E1, 0x0000002, 0x00000000, 0x804D9B64)
    Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I have ignored it for a few months as it doesn't give me any problems at home. But I need to take it places and I'm sick of it not working when I carry it around. I carry it in a tight-fit zipped case (made out of wetsuit material, like the ones often seen carrying around Macbooks). I doubt this will disturb it in anyway but hmm...

I often find once I leave university premises it works again. Could it be a problem with the wireless? I don't know how my laptop would pick that up though as it doesn't even start. It will start in safemode but not safemode with networking.

If anyone can help then please let me know!

Thanks,
    Jess

Re: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL at start-up

Well, Most probably Blue Screens with that error message appears because of bad video drivers. Here is an Article which i think you should check and follow the suggestion provided: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms793589.aspx. I hope it will help you out for sure.

Hello Jesso.

Probably it could be the Drivers problem. In case you have memory dumps then they can be interpreted in order to find the exact driver. hence what you need to is find out which driver is actually creating the problem. I have a tool which will help you to read the dumps , put them into a format that makes sense and allow you to post results for interpretation. Download the tool from here.

I have the exact same problem. I have a Sony VAIO laptop. When I turn off my wireless, the computer works fine. I'm assuming I have a bad wireless driver?

UPDATE: Just installed the new wireless network card drivers and it fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    Here is a tool that will read the dumps for you, put them into a
    format that makes sense and allow you to post results for
    interpretation:

Unzip and run it and let it finish scanning all your dump files.
    A friend of mine is having this same BSOD trouble with her Dell laptop and I would like to be able to keep things simple for her. The tool Jose mentions sounds like it might be very helpful, but I don't see anything attached to this message. Can anyone enlighten me about what the tool is (was) or where I can find it? I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JBH123 View Post
    A friend of mine is having this same BSOD trouble with her Dell laptop and I would like to be able to keep things simple for her. The tool Jose mentions sounds like it might be very helpful, but I don't see anything attached to this message. Can anyone enlighten me about what the tool is (was) or where I can find it? I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!
    If you can tell us what error code or what error message is generated in the blue screen of death then it would be helpful. Normally, a blue screen is either caused by bad drivers or perhaps due to memory issues. You can remove and swap each memory modules on your dell machined to check whether it is a problem with ram or something else. Another way is to restore your computer to a state when it was working fine by using the system restore.

My Compaq laptops were crashing after M$ updates due to the IRQ assignment that the Wireless module was assigned. Turn off your wireless card and try a reboot when you're in that troubled areas.
    I had to revert back to an update that was 4 previous updates to the wireless's module.
    If this alows a clean boot, I'd try turning on the wireless again after deleting it in the "device manager". Now let the device manager scan the system to re-install the wireless and it may be setup on a different IRQ position. Are you using a Web Browser that's unacceptable to these servers?

later...jjkii

Same problem (windows starts to load then blue screen = IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) appeared w/ Fujitsu lifebook running XP after new Cisco router; other laptops have no problem, and this laptop starts up fine on another wireless network (also using an (older) cisco/linksys router also set to 'mixed' mode (see below))
    Ran all virus, rootkit, etc... repair programs (Norton, Spybot, AdAware, WinUtilities) - no help
    Router channel is set to 'auto'; other (working) router is set to channel 6
    Disabled wireless on router and boots fine; then if wireless is enabled there's an instaneous blue screen
    Can boot to safe mode, but not safe w/ networking
    Tried new drivers on laptop but none available
    Changed from "mixed" to "G" mode and boots fine
    Changed from "mixed" to "B" mode and boots very slowly and has weak wireless signal; not functional
    Changed from "mixed" to "N" mode and boots to BSOC
    Changed from "mixed" to "BG-Mixed" mode and "auto" channel and boots fine
    Changed back to "Mixed" mode on channel 6; fail
    So - appears to be problem between wireless card/setup on laptop and router.
    Still working fine w/ "BG-Mixed" mode and "auto" channel so I give up, but very frustrating and time-consuming