Thread: XP freezes after login, can't boot in safe mode

XP freezes after login, can't boot in safe mode

Hi Everyone,

I've seen variations of this problem but none that match mine. The other day I was downloading music and on the internet. I clicked on a link and it basically froze my computer up so I did a hard shutdown. When I reboot I can login and the desktop comes up and I can see all the programs and folders and a few programs start loading and then it freezes. I can move the mouse but can't click on anything or do control-alt-delete. This happens every time (even when I tried logging in as Administrator). I'm not a computer expert but I've always been able to fix problems in safe mode, however when I try booting in safe mode I get this message "We apologize for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." It also hangs on Agp440 when loading the drivers in safe mode. I have a Dell D600 desktop. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have an external and most of my things backed up but hadn't backed up for a couple weeks so I need to get the rest of my files. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Re: XP freezes after login, can't boot in safe mode

As you are saying that the issue started when you were downloading from the internet then you need to do a scan for the malware infection.

Yeah I am guessing it's a virus but I can't start my computer or even get into safe mode to do a virus scan and get rid of it. Any suggestions?

I'm not a computer guy (i'm an accountant) so I don't get everything you guys are saying. I've always been able to get rid of viruses in the past by booting into safe mode and running removal program but I can't even boot into safe mode this time so I don't have a clue what to do. I got the Windows XP cd today and am going to try and do a repair install when I get home. If that doesn't work i'll start with your suggestions. Thanks again!

By "I got the windows xp cd today" I mean I got it from my dad as I don't live with him anymore. I did the following in the recovery console:
    md c:\windows\tmp
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system.bak c:\windows\system32\config\system
    copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

After doing this I exited which is what the steps in the article I was following said to do and now when I try to boot up I can't get to the login screen (it just loops) in any mode (safe, regular, last settings that worked, etc). I am now running a chkdsk /p /r in recover mode. Do you think it's time I just give up and re-install windows?

You can try to boot your system from either a BartPE CD or a live linux CD like Knoppix and they both come for free, just search it on the internet and download it. After that backup your important files to a usb drive or a network drive and then reinstall Windows.

I have the exact same problem as posted above Reading through all of this im looking for an easy quick fix. And it looks like the best option is running BitDefender any comments?

Ummm i have the same problem... and how can i restore windows to the date before the error??

as suggested by you i tried using the malwarebytes thing and i realised i can't use it because windows xp is now frozen and i CAN'T CLICK!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by youbetoufu View Post
    as suggested by you i tried using the malwarebytes thing and i realised i can't use it because windows xp is now frozen and i CAN'T CLICK!!!!!!!!!!
    You should know that an improper shutdowns/startup might crosslink/corrupt some files which can be easily fixed by chkdsk. You can start chkdsk from the cd or if you are in windows, right click on your c drive, choose properties, Tools, 'check now'. Check 'automatically fix file errors' and 'scan for bad sectors' (takes a bit longer with this option). I would also scan any other drives whether physical or logical.

Quote Originally Posted by james_911 View Post
    You should know that an improper shutdowns/startup might crosslink/corrupt some files which can be easily fixed by chkdsk. You can start chkdsk from the cd or if you are in windows, right click on your c drive, choose properties, Tools, 'check now'. Check 'automatically fix file errors' and 'scan for bad sectors' (takes a bit longer with this option). I would also scan any other drives whether physical or logical.
    Thanks for the tip but i can't click on anything inside windows the cursor can be moved but i can't click D:

Quote Originally Posted by youbetoufu View Post
    Thanks for the tip but i can't click on anything inside windows the cursor can be moved but i can't click D:
    i realize this thread is someone old, but i'm having the same problem as this guy, except, the first time windows froze was when i was playing starcraft 2 for the 3rd time. the problem is, that we can't run any of these utility programs before windows freezes again. is there any way to run, say chkdsk before logging onto windows because WINDOWS FREEZES before the test can complete.

Quote Originally Posted by vaden View Post
    i realize this thread is someone old, but i'm having the same problem as this guy, except, the first time windows froze was when i was playing starcraft 2 for the 3rd time. the problem is, that we can't run any of these utility programs before windows freezes again. is there any way to run, say chkdsk before logging onto windows because WINDOWS FREEZES before the test can complete.
    Well, do you get any error message when the freezing takes place. It could be a problem of overheating, as you say it happens only during gaming. Can you open up the cabinet and check if your computer is getting overheated or something, check the processor or video card (if installed) temp by some temp monitoring software.

Hi there.
    I've been having the same problem, but I know what I have, it is Smart Fortress 2012 that someone got on my PC.

The thing is, I can't reboot in Safe mode at all. It won't let me. It gives me the same message as the OP already wrote. As it signs me into the Windows, it immediately freezes and I can't click on anything, let along enter Safe mode via the Start, run and msconfig either because I can move the mouse nor can I click on anything, nor can I shut my PC down in a normal way. It freezes, I have no control over it. I have to manually shut it down.

Now, I have the CD (XP btw) but it does not recognize it either when I tried to reboot via the CD. I have no idea what to do now.

Your system is in very poor condition. The freeze issue is due to corrupt explorer.exe. Try to arrange another bootable Windows disc. Run system restore from it. This will give you some time to backup your data and then run a clean format. You can use a LiveCD to get your data also. I think there can be virus also in your system. It is important that you should re-install your windows.

Your system is in very poor condition. The freeze issue is due to corrupt explorer.exe. Try to arrange another bootable Windows disc. Run system restore from it. This will give you some time to backup your data and then run a clean format. You can use a LiveCD to get your data also. I think there can be virus also in your system. It is important that you should re-install your windows.
    Hmmm I don't think so. Smart Fortress 2012 must have disabled it somehow and I couldn't use it, nor enter safe mode.

Anyhow, after I left my PC be for a day, I turned it on and it worked normally, even though Smart Fortress was still there. I removed it, but I am sure it is still somewhere in my registry. Now, does anyone here have any experience with this malware? Or do I have to re-install my Windows and admit that I lost this fight :/
    But I'm using it just fine so far.

One more thing - how can I enable safe mode in my BIOS? If something like this happens again, and I'm not able to log in into my Windows and enter safe mode via Start-Run-misconfig, how can I enter it via F8 (when it doesn't even recognize it when I click it).

I know, so many questions.. sorry guys :(