Thread: cant find canon 1d mk ii through firewire connect

cant find canon 1d mk ii through firewire connect

I have acquired a used canon 1d mk ii slr camera which should connect to pc via ieee 1394 firewire cable.This is supposed to open Canon software for downloading pictures and also backloading personal settings into camera. The pc is almost new Gigabyte mbo with Intel E8400 core two duo, 2gb ram etc. A pci IEEE1394 card (VIA OHCI Chipset)was installed especially for the camera. All Canon software was loaded before camera was connected and turned on. XP (sp3) says the firewire is active and working with standard xp drivers etc. Canon software says the camera is not connected. 'My Computer' does not find the camera connected.
    On POST the irq given for ieee 1394 is 5. Device manager says irq is 18 (PCI slot 3) When the card was in PCI slot 1, irq was 3 and XP 20. The mbo has 3 PCI slots all "auto" in bios. Canon WIA driver update has been loaded (yet this camera model is not in list of WIA supported models????) New and different cables have been tried. Pictures are being transferred using built in card reader but I would like to sort the firewire issue in order to customise the photo settings. Camera is barely used so I don't suspect faulty firewire port in camera body. What can I do? Any help or suggestions appreciated. There are similar problems out there from other users but no definitive answers. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by norris12; 12-08-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: expand detail

Re: cant find canon 1d mk ii through firewire connect

It seems I have a lot of troubles through 4-pin FireWire cables of the assortment and have been through four or five within the Kodak and at the moment 14nx 1ds2 - including Canon's original cable. I used the similar 6-pin cable 5m over five years into comparison. Try a different cable just as I would put money on that is the problem. When you work that work well, but can be a nightmare when they do or worse work erratically. 14nx blamed me for a while until it became the 1ds2 and found I had two faulty cables!