Thread: boot.ini missing after bootcfg /rebuild

boot.ini missing after bootcfg /rebuild

I own a Dell PC that has Windows XP Home Edition on the same. Recently I started getting some issue with the same. I am getting a error Windows could not start because hal.dll is missing or corrupt on boot screen. I tried to restart the same a number of time but still it did not worked. I had used the disc that I got with the system to format and fix the problem. But somehow there is a problem. The boot looks to be working fine but somehow there is a issue with the boot config file. I used the command bootcfg /rebuild procedure but that did not worked. This enabled me to boot Windows XP and access all my files. What should I do to fix the problem.

Re: boot.ini missing after bootcfg /rebuild

Your OS is corrupted. You will have to format your pc back and install it again. You can do that by using the windows disc. Just use the disc to install xp back and then check back. I am sure that will be more effective. Just insert the windows disc and run a repair setup. I am sure that will be quiet enough to fix the problem you are facing. The repair setup is another easy way to restore the system files back. With few simple procedure you can get your os back without loosing the data.

First boo from Windows xp cd and go in the repair mode. You can do that by hitting R. Then enter the directory which has windows. Which is by default C:\WINDOWS. Choose the installation here. Now you will have to enter the load identifier. Type the name of system which is WINDOWS XP PRO. Again type / fastdetect and hit enter. You are in the text mode now from where you can fix the boot ini file. Then run rebuild boot file command and checkback.

Very interesting post because I have the exact same issue. Went to recovery console to do a bootcfg /rebuild for that one time get in Windows and I checked if the boot.ini was still there with no luck. I tried to access the boot.ini by msconfig but the tab wasn't there. I went by Startup and recovery button from System Properties and I got an error message (sorry i forgot to write it down). I'm starting to think it's spyware of virus that deleting that file but Norton 2009 showing nothing and I'm running Malwarebyte right now. The PC that I'm working on has been rebuild 3 weeks ago from the recovery partition. It's an HP Pavilion a1350n with the built-in recovery partition. Sorry for late answer but I figure out a way to not having the problem. I could track the problem occurred on boot up. I simply disable all unnecessary services and program at startup using msconfig and then reactivate the one that I knew I really needed. I'm sorry, I don't know which one was causing the trouble, I didn't bother pin point the one but the PC works fine since then.

Why don't you just re-install windows back again. That will be more helpful to you. You have to use the bootable disc to install everything back again. That is one of the most easiest solution I think. To take your data backup there is one more options you can try. You can simply use a live cd of linux or any other OS and boot your system with that. Live CD gives you access to the internet storage from where you can copy files and work. This is a nice way of fixing problem.

I own a Dell PC running Windows XP Home Edition. I had recently got a issue with hal.dll missing or corrupt.I tried to fix that using Windows CD. I used the command bootcfg /rebuild to fix the problem. I had downloaded a guide on the same which is available on the web. This helped me to boot in Windows XP and access all my files. So the first part of data backup was quiet appropriate. Later on when everything looks to be fixed I turned off my computer and tried to boot it again. But still the same error lied on the screen.

The issue appear when the file associated with the boot gets deleted or corrupted. There is a tool called as Sysinternals Process Monitor which you can download from Microsoft site. You can use it to monitor the boot.ini file. The process is complicated but really effective in giving out the right output. The best thing here you can do is simply use windows disc to run a repair setup and then check back. That would be surely more helpful.

I had also gone through the same issue recently where the boot.ini file was deleted accidentally and caused the failure. I tried a number of things here but nothing worked. At the end the only option left was to re-install xp back again from scratch. It worked there was no issue at all. I got the issue due to virus I think. But thanks to that live cd reply. It helped. There was on issue at all. I was stuck with data backup here. I downloaded puppy linux from the web and created a bootable disc of the same. I was able to copy files on a usb.

I think my problem was caused by the power failure. Windows was shutting down in appropriately and this happened at the time of automatic update. I had here tried to perform system restore but it did not worked. But after a few while the system just crashed completely. I was also having a constant chkdsk scan on the boot. It keeps on appearing constantly. I bought Acronis True Image later on. This is simply great. It worked fine to restore my system by offering a recovery disc of the entire image file.

I saw this exact same scenario yesterday. Created a boot.ini to fix the missing hal.dll error and it is deleted upon reboot. Replace boot.ini and reboot into safe mode..no problem. Narrowed it down to ASKupgrade service. Removed Ask toolbar and anything related to Ask and the machine is 99% back to normal. The only problem I have now is that there are no options available in the boot.ini tab in Msconfig. Strangely enough I can still edit via System Properties. Futhermore, it seems the problem is a combination of Ask toolbar and IE8 but I can't be specific about the nature of that combination.

i'm 99.9% sure its ask toolbar, added u torrent to two of my xp pro laptops on 19th july, 2nd reboot on both caused hl.dll error / boot.ini to dissapear. Subsequent bootcfg / rebuild 's and boot.ini disspaeared again upon reboot. Removed ask toolbar including c:\prog_files\AskBarDis directory and alls well

p.s both laptops are running IE8

Yes is is ASK toolbar over IE8, how can that be a bug... ASK should now be rated as Malware..
    also a factor is presence of a recovery partition so default partition cannot be booted.

boot recovery console off instal DISK (R option)
    enter administrator password (or enter)
    BOOTCFG /REBUILD
    use ID as "Windows XP", no options
    copy c:\boot.ini goodboot.ini
    exit

bOOT xp, use control panel to remove all ASK software toolbars etc
    AT DOS PROMPT
    copy c:\goodboot.ini c:\boot.ini
    attrib +s +h c:\boot.ini
    exit

If you have dual boot, be aware of complexities..
    you cannot necessarily copy a boot.ini from one machine to another
    And no, installing Firefox will not fix this.. although removing IE8 may, the bug is NOT in IE8, but is very bad software in the ASK toolbar/updater, what were they thinking..