Thread: Logon Error - Event ID 533

Logon Error - Event ID 533

I am having a Windows XP pc on my network. It is the only pc that has windows xp while other all are on Vista. It is working fine. For routine checkup I went inside event viewer and found some set of errors. The error is associated with failure audit. Again there was some set of errors which are associated with logon stuff. I hope there is no security issue with the system. I tried to configure the settings manually but it did not worked well. Is this a serious issue.

The error could be some problem associated with the logon stuff due to which you are facing the problem. It is essential that you must checkout all the user login. Ensure that everything there goes fine. Sometime it happens due to improper user permission and other stuff this kind of problem appear. It is essential that you must reconfigure the pc back on the network and then check back. I am sure that is simply enough to fix the problem you are facing. Just check back and see what you get.

Try to put the pc back on domain. Remove the existing settings and permission first and then try back. This is not a security problem. The issue lies when the user tries to logon on the network and fails. Due to which this kind of errors are generated. It is essential that you must simply try to reconnect the settings and then test back. That will be quiet more than enough to fix the problem. If still the system is not able to connect then it is recommended that you must re-install windows back on the same.

I got the same issue with my laptop. It does not work well. There are ample of folders which are shared on the network. But somehow it remains un-accessible. I tried every settings here but still it does not looks to be working well. What I found later on that my antivirus is blocking the same. So it is essential that your firewall or antivirus application must be capable of giving you access for the same. Just try to disable same and then check back.

Go in audit log and then check back. There you will find ample of settings on the same. The audio report just gives you information on the login failures. You can simply checkout the login policies under Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies> Security Options. Just go in the same and see what you can see. I am sure you will get ample of help there to fix the problem faced by you.

I'm having a similar issue in a very similar environment. Standalone PL-1 system WinXP SP3 and getting the same error for non administrative local users. Its not a problem with the event log and the Users group is included in the local logon policy. I was thinking it might have been related to rename in the computer name recently, but I don't see why that would matter. I figured out a solution. It seems since I changed the computer name, I needed to change the workgroup name once and reboot. Then I can logon with a non admin account.Workgroup name doesn't really matter on this machine anyway since it will never be on the network.

It might just be a coincidence that mine had been renamed. I was having an identical problem to what you describe, and when I renamed the workgroup and rebooted, the problem went away. Since renaming the workgroup is pretty harmless, you might try it just to see.

I have the exact same issue, and I can't figure it out. I need to get these machines configured soon.

I agree about the MVP's. Most of them are just Microsoft brown nosers.

This seemed to work for me.

Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type regedt32.exe, and then click OK.
    Click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\CrashOnAuditFail
    In the right pane, double-click CrashOnAuditFail.
    In the Value data box, type 0 (zero), and then click OK.
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce, and then click OK to apply the new security setting.
    Restart
    Log back in and go into gpedit.msc and enable it again.
    Restart

Re: Logon Error - Event ID 533

Thank you SO much! I am doing the exact same thing that you are doing and I ran into the exact same issue. It makes me suspect that something that was provided to us, a template perhaps, caused the corruption.

In any case, I was tearing my hair out until I managed to Google my way to this thread. Implemented your fix, problem solved.

THANK YOU!

Re: Logon Error - Event ID 533

I know this is belated, but thank you so very very much. This fixed my problem as well.