Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista 64 bit Movie Maker wont show avi files no matter what

Vista 64 bit Movie Maker wont show avi files no matter what

I am having some issue with movie maker. I am having a 64bit system here. It is having some problem with movie maker files. I do not understand why it is not able to read avi files. Does it is associated with the 64bit system architecture. I am having some set of avi files which are copied on my pc through my camera. I had imported the files on movie maker but it still looks to not working properly. My system has a Vista Home Premium edition. What should I do to fix the issue.

Re: Vista 64 bit Movie Maker wont show avi files no matter what

Well it looks to be some issue with the video codec due to which you are getting the issue. Just try to install the latest codec pack in your pc and then check back. That will be surely very helpful. Movie maker is having some problem with different video file format. Due to which you keep on getting that problem. It is essential that you must try to find the right codec pack and then go with the movie editing work.

I got the same issue before. But it was resolved when I converted all the files to mp4 video files. And it worked. The issue is resolved. There are ample of great video convertors available on the web. You can download them and create a mp4 format without loosing the output. That is simply one of the best way to fix the problem you are facing.

I had also faced a bit issue while using Movie Maker. There are some alternative tools available also allows you to simply get more work done. Movie Maker is a basic video editor software that offers simple editing tools to manage different transition effects. But somehow I found it really basic and too the point tool. I am looking for a advance movie editor tool that can work more better compare to movie maker.

I am also messing around with different codecs here but nothing is working. Movie Maker is simply very annoying. It give a hard time in editing movies. I am having some set of avi files on my pc that I want to merge and create a movie out of it. But the same does not seems to be working fine. Does converting the files will do the job. Can anyone help me here in making a proper movie out of movie maker. Thanks.

I am using audacity here. I think it is more better compare to movie maker but has a bit outdated design which makes it dull. But still it is capable of giving out the right output without much issue. I hope the future upgrades of movie maker will be far more better in giving out good output. I had possibly tried everything here. But since codecs are causing bug this kind of issue appear constantly on the screen. I had tried to multiple codecs but still movie maker is not able to identify the files.

I had did this a number of time. Every time my cousin brings some avi file format to create movies out of it. First I was stucked with movie maker as it does not worked well. But later on I found a nice convertor. It is called as TVC. I had just downloaded this and installed on my pc. The convertor allow me to use different type of video formats. I can simply create mp4 videos out of it and use them in the movie editing process.

RE: Vista 64 bit Movie Maker wont show avi files no matter what

This is definitely some kind of bug of on the movie maker. I am using the one on Vista. The original Movie Maker in XP had no issues running the AVI files. I had myself tested that number of time. I am using several videos from youtube Movie Maker Beta cannot simply seem to handle the AVI files here in Vista. While the same works well on XP. And there are some hotfix, that specifies would help but nothing worked here.

Finally, I found someone who has the same problem as me. I agree with you, mayhem, this is actually a first for me too. Everyone's been telling me to install a codec pack, even my cousins, and I've been telling them that I have it installed but the problem is still there.

I've been seaching for a solution to this prob for like months now. When I bought my laptop, it was working fine until one day when I tried importing an avi file.

I guess I have to use a converter since there's no solution in changing the filter from the MM program itself. I just hope MM can solve this because it's really a hassle if someone keeps on converting many video files just to have a format that can get imported to MM.

Just wanted to add more to the existing discussion. I am also facing the same problem. I am facing a bit problem with the audio when importing video to Movie Maker. I am having a Windows XP PC here. As you said Movie Maker works well in XP. The original files that I have here is avi. Can anyone tell me why movie maker is not able to properly import them. I had tried converting them to .mpg files also using a video editor but still not getting the audio.

This problem has to do with the 64bit OS, not the wrong codec. In Vista x64 MM is a 64bit app and requires 64bit codecs. The movie plays fine in WMP because it's a 32bit app. Unfortunately, almost no one makes 64bit codecs.

Try installing MM 2.6, it's 32 bit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d-068fc0f80cfc (You probably will have to reinstall the codecs). It worked for me when I had to import an MP4.

BTW, for MP4s you have to rename it to .avi or else it will say invalid format. As long as you have an MP4 codec and it's .avi it will work.

Try to install movie maker back. Sometime due to improper system files this kind of issue appear. Movie maker works fine with AVI file previously. But the recent editions are just useless. They simply does not work fine and gives out problem. There is no fix for that. I am waiting for some kind of good alternative that would really work and give a great output in creating movie files. I hope that can help.

I believe this should be PROBLEM SOLVED.

I had this same problem last year, after hours of searching for a solution and trying everything possible i gave up.

but my freinds have been bugging me for our holiday videos so i thought i would give it another go and BINGO!!!!!

i downloaded windows media player 2.6, didnt bother to remove the version that is faulty. just downloaded this version, Here is the

.....and it works, my avi files are now showing video :D
    im not sure if this is an older version or newer, but its working for me.

let me know if this works people

Hmm, well I just installed MM 2.6 (even though they recommend you shouldn't if you already have a version of MM installed) and although it will import these troublesome avi files with video included (yea!), the picture gets very pixelated and blurry when I drag it down into the timeline for editing. Any ideas on a fix?

I'm glad I found this board, I've spent DAYS trying to make my MM 6 work. Yes, I too am running Vista Premium 64 bit. The avi files I'm trying to work with are from my new Vado HD pocket camcorder. Do you think Microsoft knows about this MM/Vista/64x problem? I wonder if they would put energy into fixing it or are they focusing on Windows 7 now? Maybe we should write them emails asking them for help on this.

I forgot to mention a few things:

I’ve downloaded trial versions of about 8 other video editing software but they either aren’t compatible with these files, or they have too many limitations. AVS’s video editor was surprisingly the most compatible. It imported the files perfectly but their software stupidly makes it impossible to alter audio levels on the video portion wherever you want to. Which means you can either mute the entire video timeline, or have sound on it, but you can’t weave in and out with sound if that makes any sense. Yes, you can add multiple audio tracks but if you can’t mute the video timeline where you want to, it really sucks. I’ve really grown to like MM’s easy and intuitive interface.

I’ve played around with various formatters and changed these problematic Vado .avi files to wmv files. Yes, they will then work in MM but there are problems with this approach. One, it can take a LONG time to format all these files and it’s a step I would like to avoid. Also, most all of the formatters degrade the quality somewhat. It’s really noticeable in some of the clips. Again, AVS’s Converter seems to be the best of the ones out there and you can do custom settings to make a very high quality output file but it has some lame issues. For instance you can only format one clip at a time which is a real bummer! And it gives the same name to every output file so you basically have to type in a different name/number each time. Format Factory was great in this area. You could format multiple files at once and each would have a different numbered output name. And Format Factory is free! But yea, it degraded the files.

So you can imagine that I’ve spent considerable time on this. I really hope someone out there has a way I can directly import these Vado avi files into MM.

Sorry for doing three posts in a row. It appears MM 2.6 isn't intended for HD clips. Bummer.

I just updated my computer to the new 'service pack 2'. I had my hopes up that they were going to have a fix in there for MM 6 but nope, no such luck. I think Microsoft has pretty much abandoned MM. Their new version for Windows 7 is very, very lame.

I found a fix! I posted my question in the Microsoft forum and some guy named Zack pointed me to these codec package links:

First you want to uninstall any codecs you already have installed. Then install the 32bit package followed by the 64bit package. (This is for people with 64bit systems of course)

You still may have to play with the video filter settings in MM (Tools>Options>Compatibility) but this should help!

a video converter isn't necessary. Download these two vista codec packs (the 2nd one is specifically for 64bit computers) and MM will work! It took me a week of researching and trying different things to figure this out.

First delete any codecs you already downloaded then download:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5326

And then download:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5535

I hope this helps others passing through!

Download a video converter. I’m using the freeware version of Any Video Converter to take my AVIs and change them to MPEG 2, which MM for Vista 64 supports. You’ll still have your original AVI as well. With the new MPEG 2, MM will work just as it did in the past in good ol' Vista 32.

If you only want to watch something on your computer screen, MM 2.6 will certainly do the trick. If you want to publish a DVD of, say, Grandma's birthday party, a video converter will work. Any Video Converter is reasonably fast and delivers - so far - a video quality on par with MM for Vista32.

I hated Vista 32. Now I miss it and I REALLY miss XP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast