Thread: SFC /Scannow keeps asking for SP3 CD

SFC /Scannow keeps asking for SP3 CD

I have a Desktop computer at home running Windows XP. I had updated this to Service Pack 3 about a month ago from Internet, hence I don’t have any SP3 CD. Now recently my Windows got corrupted due to some unknown reason. I thought to fix the same by running “SFC /SCANNOW” command but whenever I do that, system prompts me to insert the Service Pack 3 CD. As I updated SP3 online so I don’t have any CD.

So can anyone please tell me how can handle this situation? I mean is there any way I can complete SFC check without CD? Let me tell you that there is a C:\i386 folder and the HKLM\.... settings were changed to show the sourcepath = c:\ and the \WINDOWS NT\ sourcepath also to C:\i386 yet every time I run SFC / SCANNOW I get this CD prompt.

Somebody please help.

Re: SFC /Scannow keeps asking for SP3 CD

I dont know how you can make SFC without CD if it is prompting for the same but i do know that how you can get one SP3 CD for yourself. See if you have any other PC running with SP3 among your friends or so. If yes, you can easily slipstream an installation CD with your original CD and the expanded SP3 file.

Just check out this Article describing step by step process for Slipstreaming the same.

Hello GunTher, there is also an Easy way to get SP3 CD. Go to Microsoft Download Center, find SP3 ISO. Download the same and burn it on a disc. It is that simple. Just keep in mind that there will be two possibilities: One for your model and one for ALL models, which is a LOT bigger than the other one. If you have good and unlimited bandwidth, better download the bigger one for all models.

Just download SP3 from the downloads area & burn it to CD. When it asks for it, put that CD in.