Thread: the local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively

the local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively

I am having a Windows XP laptop here. It has Home edition installed on the same. When I enter my login details and press enter I am getting a error on the screen. The error is related to some login failure. Windows is not allowing me to login. I am using the right login details I think. There were no recent changes in the system. The error that I am getting is the local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively. How can I fix the same.

Re: the local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively

Are you trying a remote login. Because this is not local system error. I had faced the same when I was trying to connect to a remote computer. I am giving you a link that solution for the issue. The problem lies with member profile here. And the below link provides you a fix. You just need to run the same and it will be working fine.

Remote desktop connection "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

I know this forum is old but I came across the problem the last night. Spending countless hours getting frustrated about how to get back on, however to those who come across this issue its fairly simple and you do not have to re-install windows like most people I have read the other night suggested.

1st: Make sure you have a copy of your OS installation CD and it has to be the full version in order for it to work. Restart your computer and press F12, select CD and press any key.

2nd: Press Enter and then F8 until you get to the Repair Install part. Press R and let your computer continue on to reinstall your windows version. Now when you get to where it says "Installing Devices" immediately press/hold Shift + F10. There you can change your Administrator and Guest passwords etc if you choose to. Back to the topic, here you are in the CMD window which is important.

3rd: Now your going to need to reset your local security policy and group policy to defaults. What I did was 1st resetted the group policy by typing in: "secedit /refreshpolicy user_policy /enforce" (and) do the same with "secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce. Now if you get an error message just ignore it for both. Now enter to reset the local security policy: "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose" and just now wait till it repairs it and if you get an error don't get discouraged you will still be fine.

Now that you have done that just let the rest of the computer reinstall and that's it! Now you should see the WELCOME screen now you are back unto the computer. If you think that your files have been deleted from the reinstall not to worry you can find your folders that was on your computer previously in C Drive under Users and just make sure you reinstall some programs which you may need to do and your done!

Hope this helps anyone that reads it with this problem, this should work with Vista and 7 as well. :)

Hi Scene68,

I am getting the above problem in my Windows XP machine. Can I use the same method that you have suggested in your reply to solve this error message? Thanks