Thread: Express Recovery 2 - Gigabyte

Express Recovery 2 - Gigabyte

I am not able to run Express Recovery on my system. I am having a Gigabyte EG43m-S2H motherboard. With 4GB DDR2 RAM and 300 GB Seagate. I am trying to create a system image using Express Recovery 2. So that in case of any problem I am simply use Express Recovery to restore my systems position as it was. I had kept a separate partition for the recovery only. But when I try to run that it is giving me a error that there is no enough space.

Re: Express Recovery 2 - Gigabyte

It looks like the size of recovery is quiet large compare the partition size due to which you are facing problem. You have to allot more diskpace and then try back. Second thing at the time of running backup it happens a number of time the recovery tool count all the partition. Just check that you had only selected the windows partition and leave others. That would be enough. The same might consume around 20 to 40GB.

Try to free more space. Go in your windows partition and see the total amount including everything. You can then simply on that basis create a separate partition where you can keep everything. The recovery partition will not be hidden like others. And I had seen that mostly it lies around 10GB. I also think the recovery tool here is taking every partition. Due to which the space exceeds the existing limits. There must be a manual option also available which can help you.

I do not think there is anything you can do here. I am also facing the same issue. I am using ExpressRecovery2 utility. I had first allotted a 10GB space. I made some changes in the system and was trying to recreate the partition. But now it ask me for more space. Later on I kept 20GB and it worked well. So there is no issue with the space here. Your windows partition might be very large due to which you are facing the problem.

I am also getting the same kind of issue here. I had kept a unallocated space of 20GB in my drive and thought Xpress Recovery 2 will take the space for recovery. I am having a manual. But when I try to run the same through xpress recovery utility there is a bit issue with the storage space. Later on I switched to acronis. It created a recovery partition on my system which really worked well and to use it I am using a bootable cd. That is a far more better option I think. It is not appropriate to rely on settings that are not working well because it will be complicated then to restore system.

Gigabyte Xpress Recovery is a basic utility. I to do not think it is much reliable. There is one more way by which you can simply restore your system as it was. For that you will need Windows bootable disc. If you are using Windows 7 then it is much more easier. In that under repair tool you get option to restore your system using a image file that you can create inside Windows. I am using that and it works much better. It also quickly fixes the system.

Xpress recovery always has a issue with partitioning in windows. I had created the one long before and due to some changes in the partition the recovery procedure failed to work. It is not really stable. Because here when you use the recovery utility you create a system image through it and that is used to restore your system while boot.

Does anyone here tried using Norton Ghost. It is one of the best utility that offer you to restore your system in case of problem. The only issue of using this utility is you have to format your system in fat32. It does not read NTFS. A image of your system lies in the hard drive and you can use the a bootable disc or simply you can boot from your system tray to restore the image file. It takes hardly 15 to 20 minutes to restore your system from the hard drive. It works really well. And I found this as one of the most easiest solution.

Help! I'm in the same boat.

I've been trying to use this program for the last 2 years with no success. First on GA 965, now having trouble on GA X38. Mickey mouse, I have done exactly the same as you. If you have figured out what the problem is, please let me know. Apart from Googling and posting at other threads as well as sending Giga an email, there really isn't that much more I could do. I'm hoping someone in the know will read this thread and show us the solution. Like I said I have been trying for the last 2 years and there isn't really anyone that I know with that much computer knowledge.

I am also getting the same issue. I am not aware about any other good utility that can help me restore my system quickly in case of any problem. First all I think recovery utility that comes with motherboard are not at all reliable. It is always complicated to use. I am using the same utility in a system which is having two hard drive. It works well there. The image partition is created in the secondary hard drive. While in my laptop where there is a single partition things does not work well.

I'm having a similar problem, but perhaps there's one more clue here. I want to use XPressRecovery2 for backup for the same reason as you do. Once I get a stable system, I want to be able to image it and recover it if I add any unstable software later. I believe that Dell does this on their computers: they hold back some of the hard drive space for an image so that they can just reset everything back to its original state with a simple command. Anyway, I decided to use this built-in Gigabyte method after having terrible experiences with Norton Ghost and Acronis. I have a Gigabyte GA-EX38-DQ6 motherboard and "normally", I have a 320GB boot drive (C:), (2) 500GB in a RAID0 for Video Editing (D:), and a 1 TB for mass storage (E:). I formatted about 160GB of the boot drive for the primary bootable partition and installed my operating system and a number of key programs. As you pointed out, you aren't supposed to create any other partitions since XPressRecovery2 handles all of that for you with the remaining 160GB unallocated space. My D: and E: drives were fully formatted as 1 large partition each.

However, when I tried to start XPressRecovery2, it would constantly say that I didn't have any room for the image. After reading the manual some more, I was concerned that XPressRecovery2 was looking at one of the other drives first and seeing no unallocated space. Per the manual "XPressRecovery2 will check the first physical hard drive for the operating system"....the first physical hard drive is taken in the following order: the 1st PATA connector, the 2nd PATA connector, the 1st SATA connector, the 2nd SATA connector and so forth. I thought I had my boot drive connected to the 1st SATA connector, but perhaps I screwed up.

So I disconnected my other hard drives and rebooted and now XPressRecovery2 started with no problem and I was able to image my drive successfully. Checking it using Disk Management, I could see that XPressRecovery2 had grabbed about 50GB of my unallocated space for the image. So far, so good. I re-connected my other hard drives and everything has been working fine. So now, after installing a number of other programs, the system still seems to be stable. So I decided to start up XPressRecovery2, remove the existing backup (which should free up the original full 160GB unallocated space), and re-image the boot drive again. Unfortunately, I'm getting the original message again. It doesn't see the existing image (according to it, there's nothing to remove), and says that the HDD is full and there's no room to backup the drive.

So now I'm wondering whether I have to disconnect my other drives again.....

All:
    - Of course it's very possible that it's user error.....I just can't seem to get it to work by following the instructions in the Gigabyte manual....but I'll keep trying (and keep reading) with whatever help you can offer....and I'll be sure to give Acronis another look if that's what you recommend. Thanks.

- I thought you were having a similar problem but the thread went quiet for a few weeks. Did you ever get an answer?
    - Regarding the drive sizes, I've got ~2TB of offline storage for backup of the key video files. These three drives are primarily for work.
    - In disk management, C is labeled disk0, D is disk2 and E is disk 1. I'm using the Gigabyte SATE RAID controller, not the Intel controller.

PLEASE CONNECT YOUR HDD TO SATA0 IF U ARE USING SATA HARD DISK OR CONNECT TO IDE PRIMARY IF YOU ARE USING PATA HDD AND KEEP UNALLOCATED SOACE WITH C DRIVE ONLY . SEE YOUR PROBLEM SOLVED.
    REPLY ME ON MY EMAIL ask me if any querry