Thread: Defrag And Chkdsk Problems,.

Defrag And Chkdsk Problems,.

I am having a windows xp pc. It was working slow from some time. So I through to perform a bit of maintenance to make it work more proper. I installed IE and other SP3 updates before due to which it is slowed down. I thought by adding the the new update might enhance the performance more but the issue is simply different here. I tried first to run defrag. It failed. Then I tried chkdsk also but it is also not working.

Re: Defrag And Chkdsk Problems,

Try running sfc /scannow and then test back. Try to boot in safe mode with command prompt. In that just run sfc /scannow and hit enter. It will scan for the system files which were damaged or corrupted. It might fix the same and your system can work fine after when the complete scan is done. Later on your can run chkdsk. There are chances that due to bad sectors chkdsk is not working. Just try some third party programs that would help you to fix the problem.

Re: DEFRAG AND CHKDSK PROBLEMS,

What is the error message when you try to run defrag or chkdsk?

First try to solve the chkdsk problem. Are you using the right syntax for chkdsk? Instructions for running chkdsk are here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
    Try running chkdsk with the /r switch.

For defrag, I suggest you try Diskeeper which is excellent if the windows defragger is broken. Diskeeper 2009 is the current edition, and you can download free evaluation versions from http://www.diskeeper.com which work for 30 days.

I am sure that your system is having some problem with the hard drive. You will have to find the same through some other tool. Just download and install Ariolic Disk Scanner in your pc. Run the same. If it shows too much of red marks then it simply means there is ample of bad sectors in you rpc. It will be complicated for you to fix the same. As there is no software level solution available to fix bad sectors. You have to replace the hard drive. Backup your data first.

I also think the issue lies with bad sectors. My laptop was dead due to this issue. Each time when I run chkdsk it fails. First it use to give me some errors. But after a few months the laptop completely stopped working. Defrag cannot help much here. It is simply so annoying to work on such system. I bought a new hard drive and attached on the my pc. It worked fine there is no issue rightnow.

There is one more tool available that can help you to fix the problem you are facing. The name of that tool is HDDScan. You can download this and scan your pc for the errors. It will give you clear information on the problem of your pc. Just scan your system and see what errors you are getting. There are chances that your drive is going to dead soon. If there are negative reports from the software just backup your data first and then check back.

i have the same problem as jean.
    i am running a dell with windows xp. has always worked perfect until recently. my scandisk, defrag and restore wont run. the programs open but for scandisk when you hit start it says windows was unable to complete the disk check, defrag says disk defragmenter could not start and restore lets you choose to restore or create a point after you select the date to restore to out of the avaible ones then click next and it goes no further, tried every date i had available. also few other problems started at same time all my burn programs say i have no burner but it shows it in my computer and it works for reading just cant burn anything.
    another thing, my hd is partitioned for an 80 and a 30 gig. windows runs on my 30 gig the 80 is for storage. i formatted 30g drive and reinstalled windows xp then used windows update to give me current updates. after i formatted the problems where gone then after it restarted a couple of times i'm back with the exact same problems? im guessing it means the problem must be coming from my 80g ive uninstalled and reinstalled programs and drivers. did a full in depth scan of my HD with updated version of bitdefender total security and says no viruses or other problems, it checks spyware and adware i think. ive tried searching my registry for problems but havent found any that im aware of. any suggestions or ideas? anyone else have these same problems?