Thread: Re-install Movie Maker 2.1

Re-install Movie Maker 2.1

Hi, I am using Windows XP Service Pack 3 with Movie Maker v2.1. Since couple of weeks I am facing several problems with my Movie Maker such as when I create a new project and try to save the movie for the first time, WMM freezes and turns into not responding. I need to kill it from task manager. And then when I open it again from the saved project, I get video artifacts of left on the screen whenever I open a pull down menu and select an option. It use to remain there until the next option is picked. Refreshing the screen gets rid of it however. The only solution for get rid of all these problems is to restart the entire system.

Hence I thought to re-install Movie Maker hoping it will fix the problem once and all but the problem is I am not able to find the Windows Movie Maker Installer v2.1. Only get is v2.0 but from where can I download v2.1? Many Thanks.

Re: Re-install Movie Maker 2.1

You will not get its installer anywhere on the web because it comes pre-loaded with the service packs only, there is not installer on the web anywhere. Hence the best you can do is uninstall Service Pack 3 and install SP2. That might fix the problem for sure.

Apart from that, i think you should try going through the following steps offered by Carlos, MCSE are supposed to reinstall MM2.1.
    1. Go to C:\Windows\inf
    2. Right click on Moviemk.inf and click on Install
    3. When it asks for your Windows XP cd put it in and browse to the I386 folder. Click OK

Also try pointing to the SP2 file.

I appreciate your help Jacob but there seems to be a problem. I tried going through your provided steps but in my case there is no i386 folder in my Windows/Inf folder. Instead i found that folder under this location C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. I can see both moviemkr.exe and inf files in this folder.

Just to give a try i ran the inf file and it started installing MovieMaker but unfortunately still the same problem. Still when i save the movie WMM freezes and turns unresponsive. I think i should try re-installing Service Pack 3. Hope it helps.

Hello VauGhna, i am not sure but i guess this could help you to some extent. I think you should try reducing your Graphics Hardware Acceleration. If it doesn't make a difference just move the slider back to Full.