Thread: C:\recycled\boot.com is not a valid Win32 application

C:\recycled\boot.com is not a valid Win32 application

I can't open c: when double click on it but pop up a message "C:\resycled\boot.com is not a valid Win32 application". Please help. Empty your recycle bin and try again. Also try right clicking the drive and select explore.

I will recommend you to check that your anti-malware software is running, then download the latest signatures and run a full scan. If you don't have anti-malware software, then it is simply risky. Install a good anti-malware software and learn how to use its features. A 'comprehensive' solution scans for all types of malicious software in the background, on demand and on schedule. For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online scanners, such as:

What do you mean exactly by it "didn't do anything"? Any error messages at the cmd prompt? The commands have to be typed exactly. Is it the C: drive? If not, you'd need to substitute the C: with whatever drive (letter) you are having problems with. To answer your question, yes, if you are getting the message "C:\recycled\boot.com is not a valid Win32 application", then you apparently have some sort of infestation. I have read about a system 32 trojan although system32 is crucial for windows??

Click on start and then click on run and in that type cmd and hit enter. Now in that type the following command - attrib -h -r -s C:\Autorun.inf. Now type del C:\Autorun.inf and then - attrib -h -r -s D:\Autorun.inf. In the last type
    del D:\Autorun.inf. That's all your job is done. By running proper attributes the system will simply work fine. But if this does not work then just try system restore. I am sure that will help you.

re: C:\recycled\boot.com is not a valid Win32 application

I can't open c: , e: ,d: when double click on it but pop up a message "C:\resycled\boot.com is not a valid Win32 application". I try to scan with panda internet security,and malware when i double click c: there is no a message C:\resycled\boot.com is not a valid Win32 application but wh n i double click d: and e: pop up a message "C:\resycled\boot.com is not a valid Win32 application". what should i do?

I think it is a virus. So that might be a problem. Start Windows in safe mode, and then click Start > Run. In that type in regedit and click okay. Now at the top of the registry editor, click Edit -> Find. Type boot.com and click Find Next. Every time it finds a new boot.com, press the delete key and then enter. It should find a dozen or so copies. Now, plug in any external drives or flash drives you have used with this computer. Open My Computer. Click Tools -> Folder Options -> View and select "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and click okay.

Attribute command of MS-DOS Prompt is a best answer. See the Posts submitted by Bill Blanton Post #3 and Post #9 Other Method as precisely described :

You should do these steps after a fresh reboot or in safe mode.
    1. Navigate to the problem drive(s) via the Explore option.
    2. Click on TOOLS -> FOLDER OPTIONS
    3. Click the button which says ‘Show hidden files and folders.
    4. UNCHECK the following boxes: Hide extensions for known file types / Hide protected operating system files
    5. Find and delete the autorun.ini file and the resycled folder on the root directory of all affected drives.
    6. Check “c:\windows\system32\dllcache” for boot.com file and delete it if present.
    7. Check “c:\windows\prefetch” for boot.com file and delete if present.
    8. Delete all files from c:\windows\temp (Some files may not delete, that’s OK, they’re in use by the system and not virus files.)
    9. Delete all files from c:\Documents and Settings\[USER PROFILE]\Local Settings\Temp (Again, a couple files may not delete, don’t worry.)
    10. Run Regedit
    11. Make sure you are at the very first entry of the registry hive. (y Computer should be highlighted) then click EDIT -> FIND
    12. Search for “boot.com”. If it finds an entry, delete it. Keep hitting F3 until you’ve deleted all instances of boot.com in the entire registry.
    13. Scroll the left column back up to the top and highlight the My Computer again at the top of the registry hive.
    14. Click Edit -> Find again and search for ‘recycled’ and repeat as in step, deleting the entries as it finds them. (I found 2 of each)
    15. Close registry editor and try opening the infected drives. They should work now.
    Last edited by Raj; 06-05-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: add other method

Thank you. I created an account to tell you that. Your compilation of 15 steps that were dead on to correct the problem. I had tried solutions at a few other sites, but the error was still coming up. All gone now. try PRT , it fixed my probs when i had the Autorun virus. Just run it in safe mode

hey, i just had this problem, and first i tried the :

attrib -h -r -s C:\Autorun.inf

del C:\Autorun.inf

but that didn't work
    so i tried this right afterwards:

attrib -h -r -s C:\resycled\boot.com

del C:\resycled\boot.com

and that worked. . . .

and thanks to all you ppl

To remove the "resycled" first download "deletedr.exe" software free from the internet. Then,for the drives, which do not open and give the message "\resycled\boot.com is not a valid Win32 application" do the following: double click the icon "deletedr.exe". A window will open. In the "browse" rectangle, write the name of the drive, then slash, and then, resycled, like "F:\resycled" and left click the tab with words "delet file on system restart". A new window will open. Here say "yes". Then restart the windows. After restart,the resycled danger will vanish, and you will be able to open the desired drive. Please note that you will have to first unhide all the folder options, as explained in previous posts. I hope that all the options suggested in this forum, and the option suggested by me will certainly solve the problem.

I followed the other method suggested by negims82 and Now i am get this error when i double click the "c:" drive "the file does not have program associated with it for performing this action. create an association in the folder options control panel". Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. hi, on my laptop i cant get any .exe files to open i just get the (gamename).exe is not a valid Win32 application error message. i tried the above methods but not helping i cant install or run files from any CD or downloaded files, hope someone can help. Yeah, use Malwarebytes Anti Malware in conjunction with a quality anti virus application.

I think i had the same probs as yours. The file does not have program associated with it for performing this action. create an association in the folder options control panel. All you need is to follow the steps as said in 9th quote. The next step further to this i did was. Clearing the browsing history. goto tools>delete browsing history. Confirm ones again if no boot.com & resycled are present in the regedit. Close all the programs and then RESTART. You will be able to open all the drives as b4!!!!