Thread: SP3 and window movie maker

SP3 and window movie maker

I had upgraded my OS from SP2 to SP3. I am using Windows XP here. After upgraded I found that Windows Movie Maker stopped working. All looks to be working well except movie maker. I am a bit annoyed with the same. Because it is the only video editing tool that I was using on my system for creating home movies. What should I do know. Is movie maker available for download from web.

You will need to re-install windows movie maker and I think you can download that from web. It can be a compatibility problem also. Did you get any error while running it. Is there was any problem. If yes then try to post a image of the same here. It is always recommended that you perform a clean format instead of running a upgrade. When you upgrade there are still old files in your system which can cause compatibility issue.

There are ample of download website that gives you download of Windows Movie Maker. Movie maker is having no issue with Windows XP. The problem lies with upgrade. The upgrade has cause the problem. You might be using a old edition of Movie Maker. You have to remove that first and install a fresh edition of the same software. And then check back. It will be working well.

Re: SP3 and window movie maker

Do you get error while launching movie maker or while working on it. Try to right click on the same and choose run as admin or simply right click on it and choose properties. In that click on compatibility mode and see what you get. You have to choose the right OS output and then check. It is possible you might be able to run movie maker under compatibility mode.

There are some better tools available that gives you more feature compare to Movie Maker. Instead of wasting time on the installation you must simply try to find a good alternative that really works. One of them that I know is Ezvid. This software allow you to create and edit videos at a better pace. I was also using Movie Maker and later on shifted to Ezvid. It is nice to use. But still if you want to use Movie maker there is a way. If you are having windows installation cd you can simply format and install windows back again.

The only way of fixing this problem is re-installing windows movie maker back again from scratch. That is the only way that can help you to fix the issue. There are some site which are giving you updates related to the same. You can download that and install it in your system and if still it is not working then it is worth to switch to another and better image editing software.

That is a version issue. I also faced the same thing. Somehow windows xp does not supports older edition of Movie maker. And when you install everything from scratch it also add Movie Maker. While in upgrade the edition are screwed up. You have to find the right edition from web. I think windows update can help you here to some extent. Run windows update. I hope you can get some fix through that.

Re: SP3 and window movie maker

If you are looking just for a video editor tool then there are ample of free software available. But there will be limitation of video editing. You might be not allowed to use captions or other additional settings. Movie maker is good to some extent only and to get it back you have to install XP from scratch. That means you will need to format your system and run a clean setup.

What error are you getting exactly when you are trying to launch movie maker. You had just given half information. You can find more detail on the same in event viewer. You can find more information about the crash. On that basis it will be easier to help.