Thread: Logoff forced immediately after logon

Logoff forced immediately after logon

I am running Windows XP with Trend Micro antivirus. Every attempt to logon, with having multiple users, with and without passwords, shows the desktop image, nothing else like start bar, then immediately logs out. I did a Windows Update, and it started after the restart. I have restored to befor that update and the issue still persists. I did a system repair and that was fine. I have installed XP SP3 and the issue came back. I have restored to before SP3 and still have the same issue, after that restored forward to after SP3. I can restart in safe mode without any issues. I then ran Malwarebytes and found some issue but it is not related to the problem I am facing I think. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks.

Re: Logoff forced immediately after logon

hi,

You are correct from what i can tell it is not a malware issue while somepeople believe it could be Blazefind malware it isnt as i have had the same issue.

The fact is it is a issue with trendmicro pccillin while i know no permenent fixes a temp work around is as follows logon to safe mode with admin privleges then find the directory your current pccillin is working from change the folder name ie"thisfolder" to "@thisfolder" Restart your computer and you should be able to login to xp like usual. you can then change your folder back to whatever you like and should be able to log off and sign back in to have pccillin working again, the thing is though from what i can tell if another user attempts to log in after you have chjanged thefodler back the autologoff will run again of if the day passes it will run again so it is a tedious program if you want to keep your av up and running

Re: Logoff forced immediately after logon

XP with SP2 (Dell Inspiron laptop 6400 with Trend Micro antivirus)
    Auto logging off on all accounts including safemode,
    tried the PCCillin folder name change, that did not work.
    have also looked at the wsaupdater.exe fix but did not find my registry had been changed.

Have tried the XP Boot CD from Dell - recovery action but it did not find the wsaupdater file.

Am going to try again with Barts PE UBCD for XP and will try its SPYBOT S&D scan (ver 1.5) and will do another scan with its antivirus program.

I'm fast running out of options to what it could be and am open to more suggestions from anyone out there .. thanks in anticipation,,,,,, John T

The auto logging off immediately after log in was as a result of a missing Userinit.exe file in the C:\Windows\System32 directory. Not sure how it vanished and am currently doing antivirus and spyware checks to ensure my system is clean. All I can say is that once this file was put back into the directory, login returned to normal on all accounts.

Hope others out there with this same problem are able to resolve their issue as I have.

I am having the same issue with my gateway deskto running winows xp 95 and I do not have a reinstallation disk or boot disk. Is there a way I can somehow log in through dos to correct the problem. Not sure how to fix my problem.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

missing Userinit.exe file in the C:\Windows\System32 directory

I used a Windows XP Boot disk (UBCD - Ultimate Boot CD) I made using Bart's PE Boot Disk creator. This allowed me to copy the file from my USB stick to the C:\Windows\System32. You could also use a program called NTFSDOS that will allow you to access the NTFS partition Windows is on (if your drive is formatted in NTFS) this will allow you to write the Userinit.exe file from a CD or Floppy disk to the C: drive. Another idea, you could also boot the PC up and hit F8 - select the Command Prompt option (if you are comfortable with that!) and copy the file to the hard drive from there? Hope this is of assistance.

I told you already, the site was reported to MS and MS said it was ok. The
    person identified as the owner is an MVP and has permission to use those
    logo's. Why is that so hard for you to believe?