Thread: XP Home sp3 "access is denied"

XP Home sp3 "access is denied"

Hey guys, I’m looking for some quick help. I have a Windows XP running old Dell Laptop which is out of warranty. Recently download Service Pack 3 for the same. While trying to install SP3, I get a message saying “Access is denied.” I have no idea what is causing this problem. I did a search on Google and Microsoft websites. Found few KBs on MS regarding the same. They mentioned to try installing SP3 in Safe Mode but none of them worked.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: XP Home sp3 "access is denied"

I’m sure you dint came across the following Microsoft KB describing “When you try to install Windows XP Service Pack, you receive the error message "Access is denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete"”. They have provided two methods in detailed step by step process. Just go through the same an I’m sure everything should be fine. Click here

Re: XP Home sp3 "access is denied"

Right click the file you are installing, Yes download SP3 Administrator install, in windows vista and 7 it will show "Run as Administrator", windows XP has "Run as" - then Left click it, the popup will show you as User with a check in the security box, try the uncheck if you want to try that, but you should Run as Administrator.

turn off any Anti Virus and anti trojan programs also, you might have to uninstall something, some Trojan programs can make the install never happen, if you blocked something it told you was suspicious, then its blocking it.

Hope this information helps