Thread: Vista 64-bit Compatibility

BKGrch Guest

Vista 64-bit Compatibility

I'm in the market for a new computer and was wondering about Vista 64-bit's compatibility with programs, hardware, etc.

I'm an architecture student running AutoCAD, Rhino, Maya, Adobe CS3. Are these compatible with Vista 64-bit?

I've heard that Vista 64-bit is a faster, more powerful OS than what I've been using (XP Pro) but I don't want to switch if 64-bit compatibility is still in its infancy (at least for the applications I'm using).

I've read many threads on this subject, but am apologetically still unsure (it's a lot of money for a grad student to invest in, and many discussions on this subject are relatively old).

Thank you for any answers/suggestions/advice. I appreciate everyone's help.

Jeff Gaines Guest

Re: Vista 64-bit Compatibility

I don't know where you heard that - Vista is not faster than XP by any means, probably the opposite is true. The key is to ensure that Vista 64 drivers exist for your hardware, that gets you off the ground.

I run XP x64 because I have 8GB RAM on my PC and XP (32) would only recognise about 3.5GB of it. Apart from that I have sen no advantage to 64 bit over 32 bit - except it's a bit sexy to run a 64 bit OS :-)

--
    Jeff Gaines
    Damerham Hampshire UK

Charlie Russel - MVP Guest

You should discuss compatibility with your specific vendors. Certainly, CAD and other large graphics programs can benefit from the ability to use more memory that 64-bit brings. I don't know if any of the programs you listed have specific 64-bit versions - if they do, they're likely a good deal more powerful than the 32-bit versions on large drawings, especially with 3D and shading. But even the 32-bit ones could benefit, as long as they're compatible - but only the vendor knows for sure.

--

Dominic Payer Guest

AutoCAD 2008 will have a native 64-bit version
    http://through-the-interface.typepad...d_2008_64.html

Maya 2008 has a 64-bit version supported on 64 bit Vista Business
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=7639522

Rhino v5 has a 64-bit version in development
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/.../t-565274.html

There is a 64-bit Adobe CS4 in beta, Windows only, release expected later this year. http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/04...hop_lr_64.html

Vista generally is somewhat slower than XP as it does more self-checking and maintenance, but not noticeably so practice if you have enough RAM.

As a student, you can buy the academic versions of many applications at a considerable discount.

Tom Ferguson Guest

Yes, possibly, yes, probably not recommended. Contact them to be sure.

AutoCad
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240617

==========
    Rhino
    http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.as...noOnVista.html
    Vista 64 is not mentioned. Requires Open GL support. XP runs it faster
    especially with large models.

==========
    Maya
    The 64-bit version of Maya 2008 software is supported on any of the following operating systems:

Microsoft Windows Vista Business
    Microsoft Windows XP x64 Edition (SP1 or higher)
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 WS (U5)
    Fedora Core 5

==========
    Adobe CS3

Windows
    Intel® Pentium® 4, Intel Centrino®, Intel Xeon®, or Intel Core™ Duo (or compatible) processor Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (certified for 32-bit editions) 1GB of RAM 5GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation) 1,024x768 monitor resolution with 16-bit video card DVD-ROM drive QuickTime 7.1.2 software required for multimedia features Some 3D features in Adobe Photoshop® CS3 Extended require a Microsoft DirectX 9 capable graphics card with at least 64MB of VRAM Internet or phone connection required for product activation Broadband Internet connection required for Adobe Stock Photos* and other services --

Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

BKGrch Guest

RE: Vista 64-bit Compatibility

Thank you everyone for the very quick responses. It seems there are still glitches in running the 32-bit versions on a 64-bit OS and/or the development of 64-bit versions/drivers are still young. I appreciate the help, links, and research.

Keep the advice coming.

Jim Guest

I posted this in another, more specific, thread; which you may, or may not have been following.

I too am sympathetic, but no hopeful. I have Adobe Creative Suite 3 Web Premiere on my Vista 64-bit system. Adobe update will not update Illustrator properly. Fortunately, the other programs, which are the
    ones I need, update properly. I called Adobe and they said that they do *not* guarantee 64-bit compatibility. Adobe told me to post my concerns to the Users Forums. I haven't bothered yet.

From what you found out above, it *does* sound as if Adobe *is* addressing the problem, which is news to me. I am pleased that they have the foresight to support 64-bit operating systems, as they clearly represent the future. However, this means buying another expensive upgrade for me. It's always the *next* version that has the feature you really wanted. <g>

Jim

This is slightly off-topic, but I have just purchased an Acer Aspire X3200 with AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 5600+ computer that is decked out with all the high definition goodies, including 4GB of DDR2 SDRAM. I created a Vista Business 32-bit install disc before I knew which computer I was going to buy. Now I want to upgrade to our Business 64-bit.

Is it worth it?

Thanks in advanced. :)
    Cole