Thread: Make ReadyBoost 8gb?

Make ReadyBoost 8gb?

I have a Vista system. The OS edition is Ultimate x64. I want some way to increase the readyboost size above 4GB. This is by default configure. Can I double that. It would help me a lot in performing some action. I have 1GB of RAM in my system. I use my system for video processing. I had a 4GB USB stick which I can utilize to gain some more power.

I think that is the only limitation in Vista. You can try that at the start when Windows configure the device first time for Readyboost. Right click on the usb and then click on Properties. Go on ReadyBoost tab and see whether you can find any thing there. The last limit that I had seen is 3814. There is no way you can go above that as the OS itself does not support it. In some Linux system you can manage the page file on your own, but on Readyboost things work differently. Also remember that when you use the device under readyboost the space occupied will be usable.

See adding more amount of ram will be a much wider choice. You said you have only 1GB, it will be better if you make that to 2GB. Readyboost is limited to 4GB, and by no means you can try to get more. It is just a type of virtual cache that loads the most used software. It helps RAM to access files more faster compared to regular mode. If you think that by doubling the speed of Readyboost will make your computer to perform like anything, then you are wrong. Adding a few ram stick will not cost you much. And for gaming system a gpu is also required which plays a vital role in the performance output.

It is right. I had even tried to locate a number of way by which I can get a bit information on increasing the size of readyboost. But nothing worked here. To get a bit more performance you had to check your system hardware. That is the important place where you have to work to find which less. I had seen a number of people who owns a gaming system but not a good graphic card which makes the system to perform less faster.

Readyboost just offer you a temporary support. It would be complicated to tweak the operating system and increase readyboost capacity. There are many ways by which you can make your system to perform in more better way. Like you can simply add more ram as mentioned above or upgrade the crucial parts. Readyboost can be a cheaper alternative but that is for limited period only. I had even tried to play with the settings of virtual memory. But that too did not helped much.

I face the same problem with my 8 GB flash drive,but you can increase the size later when you go to your flash drive and right click -properties-readyboost-apply and you can increase now which was not possible before,but I read that many company put fast flash and slow flash in their flash drive and readyboost after testing only allow the fast flashportion to be used as readyboost so that may be the reason for the 4090 mb or you has 32 bit window and readyboost adjust 4090 mb for that reason,
    So just use the default it would be best,if you increase and also use the slow flash it would hamper your performance.

Re: Make ReadyBoost 8gb?

[QUOTE=Colin Barnhorst;3594795]In any case, at 8GB of ram there should be minimal paging so increasing ReadyBoost capacity is pretty moot.

Re: Make ReadyBoost 8gb?

I had managed to play with page file or what you called the virtual memory. But that helped very little. Somehow when I open more resource intensive software the system performed more slowly. It is not complicated to handle the same. Page file somehow is managed by the OS itself. You can gain few gbs there and some in ReadyBoost. In this way a mixed balance of system performance is resulted. It is not complicated at all to configure virtual memory. You can do that with a third party software. But for ReadyBoost it is locked.