Thread: Cisco VPN for Vista x64?

Byrdo Guest

Cisco VPN for Vista x64?

does it exist? Im thinking it probably doesnt which is really unfortunate...

Im running Ultimate x64 with SP1 and Im really impressed! Vista seems so much better since I used it last November, its quick, nothing crashing and nearly all of my critial apps work...except for my Cisco VPN client, I get an error when trying to install it. last year when I tried to use Vista (32 or 64) most of my applications didnt work but now everything works except vpn, which is a show stopper, Im a network admin and without it I cant do my job. Considering that MS and Cisco are so tight you would think that this would be available now. Cisco, a technology giant, a company that is responsible for a large part of the
    internet back bone cant put out a 64bit version of their software...Im unable to adopt this until they do.

anybody have a work around for this? or information on a newer ver of the Cisco client? I can only wait about 24-48 hours before I have to revert to Vista 32 :(

thanks for any and all info,

Byrdo

Byrdo Guest

RE: Cisco VPN for Vista x64?

So looks like what I need is the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client. Its basically the new client for their ASA model of routers, its replacing the PIX, my current firewall/router.

according to a number of sites Ive checked, Cisco has no plans to come out with a new version (ie, x64 compatible) of the 'traditional' vpn client software, current version 5.0.

has anybody used this? I cant find anywhere to download it, no surprises there. anybody know if it is compatible with my router? PIX 515e. if anybody has any information I would appreciate it.

Paul Shapiro Guest

Re: Cisco VPN for Vista x64?

I haven't tried it, but you might be able to run the Cisco VPN in a WinXP or Vista x32 virtual machine on your Vista x64 machine. I'm using a vm for some older remote control software to access client computers, and it's working great. Faster than on my old WinXP machine and no compatability problems.
    Paul Shapiro

John C. Guest

I run the Cisco VPN client (v4.8) in an XP VM on a Vista x64 host.
    It's not ideal, but it works.

Chris Cowles Guest

Fortunately for me my adoption of x64 corresponds with my employer's adoption of Juniper Networks' VPN in lieu of Cisco. It works well with Vista x64. Otherwise I'd be doing the same as you.
    --
    Chris Cowles
    Gainesville, FL

You can try NCP secure client, it's works! :)