Thread: X64: How to prevent punkbuster from secretly installing itself ?

X64: How to prevent punkbuster from secretly installing itself ?

I need some help to disable punbuster installation. I cannot understand how it install on its own. I never downloaded that. It might be integrated on some games, but there should be some settings which can block it permanently. I had faced the same issue when I try to connect with other services. It is very complicated to play when this things is on. I cannot run any mods here.

Why you want to disable that. It is a nice anti-cheat system which does not allow any player to cheat in the game. This mostly ruin the game and I am quiet irritated with those player. I am also using that on my game network. I cannot find anything in the settings. I hope you can find better answer by searching on Google. If you are going to disable that on your network, then it would be complicated to locate the cheaters. The tool does not affect the game performance nor cause any issues. You must leave that running.

Re: X64: How to prevent punkbuster from secretly installing itself ?

Yes it might be a good anti-cheat system, but my antivirus define it as a rootkit. That is the reason I too want to get rid of it. It comes automatically from somewhere. There should be a way to permanently remove it and block the installation. My antivirus is turned on and I had seen, that it does not stops him. I had now started playing on those servers where it is not installed. From that time it is not detected. Whenever I join a server where punkbuster is configured I am getting terrible sound and the system freezes.

If this is installed in your system, then you can get rid of it through Control Panel. There must be some application installed in Add/Remove program. You can remove it and get rid of the same. If you cannot find that then look for pb folder in your computer. Just search for that. Delete that permanently. But it will appear back if you try to connect on game servers which are using it. This tool has very less file to work in the background. I am not sure about the exact location, but it lies somewhere in Windows directory.

It is right, it is not going to stop unless you are playing on the server which are using them. It is going to appear. You must try contacting the server admin to get rid of that. If he wants he will remove or else you have to play as it is. There are number of servers online which does not has this. You can try them to play games. I do not think there is anyway by which you can get rid of the same.

The tool is designed to prevent cheating in game and that is why many online server deploy it. You can find it almost on all popular server. So there is less chances you can get rid of it. It is going to enter your system as some settings are used. If you think that this some kind of virus, then you can notify the server admin which will provide you more information on the same. I had played on some servers which has punkbuster enabled. I never got any virus warning. 7

I am having problems with BF2 punkbuster and vista ultimate 64 bit. I assure You that in no way am I attempting to cheat. I keep getting kicked for 0 minutes for like an O/S error any suggestions would be appreciated thanks guys. My e-mails are wself77@ymail.com and happyaa1@aol.com if for some reason I don't get time to check this particular thread please send me an e-mail thanx.
    Last edited by Bigdaddybulldog; 07-11-2008 at 04:28 AM. Reason: left out related game.

Ummm i didn't see an answer to this question?
    punkbuster doesn't update for older games and after i remove it steam reinstalls for old game and old versions of punkbuster... I don't want punkbuster up when i am playing games that are no longer supported and don't play online at all.

Below is a reason to NOT have punkbuster install automaticly from older versions...

Friday 12.16.2011 [9:00PM]

Two vulnerabilities involving version 1034 of the PnkBstrA.exe Windows service were recently discovered and reported. One potentially allows an attacker to elevate from a non administrator user to an administrator user and the other allows a non administrator user to read data from other processes running on the computer where PnkBstrA.exe is running. Both require the attacker to already have access to the computer where PnkBstrA.exe is installed and active. New version 1035 which addresses the vulnerabilities is available for installation using our pbsvc.exe tool. Thanks to NGS Secure for discovering the vulnerabilities and reporting them to us in a professional manner.
    Last edited by Locojay; 28-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Hi Locojay,
    If you want to uninstall Punkbuster, then go in the Windows\System32 folder in Windows XP, the file PnkbstrA.exe is located over there. Before deleting it, go to Start Menu -> Run -> type msconfig, then look at the Services tab. Uncheck PnkbstrA, and delete the file. That should get rid of the thing. Hope that helps