Thread: Converting Windows Vista 64 bit to 32 bit

Converting Windows Vista 64 bit to 32 bit

I just purchased a system recently. I came with pre-installed Windows Vista OS. It is 64bit. I had not checked that at the time of buying. I have to install a PC suite software. It is used to connect my old phone to pc for backup. It is not working. I am getting a error related to 32bit edition something. I want to know that is there a way by which I can disable the same and convert it to a 32bit OS. There must be some software available that can re-program the entire OS and make it 32bit without formating or removing the original copy. Has anyone trid this. Thanks.

re: Converting Windows Vista 64 bit to 32 bit

There is no way of doing that. Nor there is any software and if you found any do not trust it. It will screw your entire OS. A 64bit edition software is completely different compared to 32bit OS. You need to format your computer and re-install Windows Vista 32bit edition to work on it. The license will be wiped out if you format your system. But there is a recovery partition which is hidden. You can use that to restore your OS back again. Or simply do this. Dual boot your system with other 32bit edition of Vista and use it. In this way your 64bit will be not be affected. You can also contact the OEM vendor to ask a 32bit edition of license OS you have.

What is the software that you are using. It is found that many 32bit applications works nicely on 64bit OS and the issue mostly lies is with the drivers incompatibility. So the phone that you are using has a incompatible driver. You can visit its official website to locate a 64bit edition driver and that would work. Dual boot is a nice choice, but for that you have to arrange a 32bit bootable disc.

If you are going to ask for 32bit edition then you will need to pay for the same. It will be another license copy. And also do not trust the fake software on web. I just screwed my system recently due to that. I found that tool on a discussion board. It was a virus. It did nothing. After reading tons of article on web I found that there is no way of converting a 64bit os to 32bit. Just try to find the alternate edition of software you have.

I was too fooled by that. The salesman told me that a 64bit system is much better and faster. I am having a old Windows XP desktop and I thought to purchased a laptop. He gave me the 64bit edition. It is having very nice hardware. Like 4GB RAM, Quad Core processor and high storage. When I tried to installed my old application in it, it failed. Even my web camera is not working. I carried the system back to the seller and he said that he will take it back only if it is faulty or simply he might pay me 60% of the actual price amount. That is too foolish. It is quite necessary to check always when you buy a new system. If you have 32bit apps then do not go for 64bit.

Why don't you go for a Dual Boot system. I have installed Windows XP on one side and Windows Vista came pre-installed. There is a recovery partition available. So if I do not need XP I can run that and restore the system's old factory settings. It is a bit disappointment that on 64bit, 32bit drivers too lack. I have a bluetooth adapter. When I tried to install the driver, it crashed the entire system. It is also not working on the 64bit partition. The firewire also failed.

I am too in the same boat. Just got a 64bit system and then came to know, my accounting sofware will not at all work on it. It is a Dell system. Why this people do like this. I am now planing to arrange someone who can install a 32bit OS in my system.

There are tons of solution to deal with that issue. If your applications are very old, then they might not work in the 64bit edition. Every site that provides popular software keeps two editions. 32bit and 64bit. It is only found for common applications while other are not easy to locate. Dell system mostly comes with recovery DVD. So you can simply format your system and use new OS. I had installed a Linux edition. It is easy to install and it reads almost all hardware that I connect. On the manufacturer website I also locate linux drivers. So this solved my issue. You must also try the same.

For downgrading, means for installing Vista 32bit you need to buy a new DVD. It is same like buying a entirely new OS and it add more to the cost.

I have a Dell Studio laptop. It has around 4GB of RAM and it has a 64bit OS. I had contacted Dell to provide me solution for using 32bit application. The tech guy said that I have to buy a 32bit Windows DVD for that and it will replace my existing OS. So that means the money that I paid for my existing OS is wasted. He said that he has to do everything from scratch. I just want to install the 32bit drive without touching the existing settings. And also there must be a recovery partition set for the 32bit OS which can allow me to restore stuff back again without installing all stuff from scratch. Now I have two choices here. One either running a Vmware software which will provide virtualization support and second using dual boot support.

It looks there is somekind of mis-understanding. 32bit applications can run in 64bit OS. You need to set the compatibility view to set the environment. There is no way to convert a 64bit os to 32 bit or simply convert a 32bit application to 64bit OS. Also those who have 4GB of ram and if install a 32bit Windows XP, he can only use limited RAM.

The only way to convert a 64bit system to 32bit is installing the new OS. I do not know from where you got this news that say that there is some way to do it. Just dual boot it, that's all and run the application that you want. Or else try to run the setup under compatibility mode. There might be less chances you cannot get a proper fix for those application which keeps on crashing on the same.

Compatibility issue is very common. You cannot do anything in that. If you bought a 64bit system then try to locate the alternative or simply use it. Vmware is going to put a bit pressure in your system resources and will make it slower. The official site of the manufacturer who provides you application you are using can offer you 64bit support if it is available.