Thread: Using 32 bit ODBC driver in x64?

Using 32 bit ODBC driver in x64?

I have a experimental system which has Windows XP 64bit operationg system installed in it. Now we are planning to migrate our servers on 64bit operating system from 32bit to enhance the performance. Before doing that the most important thing I have to test is configure PostreSQL on it. I have a disc which has 32bit ODBC driver in it to run the sql service and identify my setup. When I installed that the same is not detected by Windows XP 64bit. I know that 64bit OS supports all drivers and application of 32bit edition. Does anyone knows a proper way of installing this.

Re: Using 32 bit ODBC driver in x64?

It is possible to use 32bit ODBC on Windows XP 64 bit. The only thing which is most important here to configure is the kind of DSN you are using in this new system. You can then create the connection. What I know that if a 32bit application is only capable of identifying the ODBC connection of similar edition. That means you need to find a 64bit edition of ODBC or esle you cannot establish proper dsn.

Bill Cohagan Guest
    've got a 32 bit DSN created and can test it from the ODBC Admin program and it connects to the database without problem. Unfortunately I'm still unable to make the same connection from my 32 bit c#
    exe file. It throws an error complaining that the DSN was not found.

I have C++ application 32 bit application which uses a connection string to access an oracle database.

The connection string looks like this driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};server=Dbname;pwd=xxxxx

Since the microsoft driver doesnot exist in the 64bit ODBC admin, how can I tell the system to look into the WowSys64 directory.

The solution of this problem is using the right edition of ODBC Administrator tool. Or what you say the most compatible edition. So if you are trying to run the 32bit application on 64 edition what is requires is to create the ODBC data source first. You must do that by using the above mentioned tool in %windir%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. In order to provide the type of dsn you are using you can simply add _32 or _64. I am giving you a link below of Microsoft's kb article based on the same problem. You can read that thoroughly to locate the solution.

The 32-bit version of the ODBC Administrator tool and the 64-bit version of the ODBC Administrator tool display both the 32-bit user DSNs and the 64-bit user DSNs in a 64-bit version of the Windows operating system

Just want to add on this issue. I am too dealing with the same. I am having a software that works quiet nicely on 32bit system. The application is configured on Windows 2003 server and it is not able to locate the postgresql driver on odbc. Now it is a bit possible to add connection by using odbcad32.exe but I am not able to find the same. I had tried to locate information on number of resources, ample of thing went above my mind. There is a small workaround that worked. For that in Visual Studio you will need to build page located under Project Properties. There is a General section where you can modify the settings in Platform Target. The drop down box offer you information like x86 or any other edition. This works for C#. But the same thing if you try to do with Microsoft Access 2007 on a 64bit operating system which is Vista, it fails.

It is simple and clear. To use 32bit application which can use ODBC DSN you have to find a 32bit edition of ODBCadmin. The same is located in \windows\syswow64. Backward compatibly is supported by 64bit OS, but I am bit doubtful about the same. I cannot figure out how this actually works. There would be some way by which you can manage the settings and make things proper.

I ran into this same problem with having a 32 bit application that needed to run on a x64 Server. I unregistered the database from the x64 ODBC and then registered the database using the x86 ODBC driver. Does anyone know if there would be a degration of performance when others connect to the server and the server is now using the x86 ODBC driver over the x64 ODBC driver? Wonder why MS did not name it odbcad64.exe? Sure would have made using ODBC for x86 and X64 applications more understandable!

The benefit that you can get from a 64bit platform is you have more power for higher processing. You also get a hike in virtual address space which allows you to use more memory at a time. The best way to deal with this issue is working with IIS. Configure IIS to use the 32bit porcess instead of 64bit. This will help you to improve the performance and will also not affect the compatibility of the system. The IIS allows you to configure processors that run in either 32 or 64bit depending on the server. There is a way by which you can enable the 32bit ode on server. For that you need to run the following command in cmd - %windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd set config -section:applicationPools -applicationPoolDefaults.enable32BitAppOnWin64:true .

It depends on the application you are using. If your admin tool and other software accessing the same is 64bit then they are not designed to use 32bit driver. You need to download and install everything in 32bit edition and then only it works. The driver, the tool and other application or else this kind of failure are quiet common.

There is one thing I had tried some time ago which really helped. What you need to do is unregister the datdabase for x64 OBBC first. Then once you are done register it using the x86 ODBC driver and it will work. That is the only workaround we have here for 64bit servers.

See if you are doing that all on your own then you might need to bang your head on many websites. There are many solutions available but not sure which will work. After going through this thread, I had contacted my network admins which specialize in this. They said it would work there would not b issues.

Hey everyone,

I am running into the same problem that eduardofernandes mentions. I am running AutoCAD 2012 64 bit edition and trying to get data into Access 2010 32 bit edition. If anyone has come up with anything in the past four years, I would like to know about it!

Jeremy VanGelder

Quote Originally Posted by jvangeld View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am running into the same problem that eduardofernandes mentions. I am running AutoCAD 2012 64 bit edition and trying to get data into Access 2010 32 bit edition. If anyone has come up with anything in the past four years, I would like to know about it!

Jeremy VanGelder
    There is an official ms workaround given for this problem that is listed here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942976

To work around this problem, use the appropriate version of the ODBC Administrator tool. If you build and then run an application as a 32-bit application on a 64-bit operating system, you must create the ODBC data source by using the ODBC Administrator tool in %windir%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. To indicate the type of DSN, you can add "_32" to the 32-bit user DSNs and "_64" to the 64-bit user DSNs.

Ah, but I did try the workaround. I have the "MS Access Database" user DSN in my SysWOW64 ODBC Administrator. But AutoCAD is a 64 bit program, so it looks in the System32 directory for its ODBC drivers. There is a "MS Access Database" user DSN in the System32 ODBC Administrator, but it gives Symptom 2 from the Microsoft workaround. Namely, "Data source name not found and no default driver specified".

So, I am wondering if there is a driver (or something) that will allow a 64 bit program to put data into a 32 bit Access.