Thread: Cisco VPN client for x64

I am having a HP Notebook. I had purchased this in replacement of a old desktop which was running on Windows XP Pro edition. This laptop has Vista 64bit. The desktop which I use has a VPN client that I use to connect on my agencies network. Now when I try toinstall the same I it is not working. As it is a 32bit application, I am looking for a 64bit VPN client that I can use on Vista. This would be great waste of time and money if there is no vpn made for 64bit OS. I need some help here as I need a better hardware and performance due to which I purchased that 64bit hardware.

There are vpn clients that you can try. There are ample of them. Which one are you using. Can you name that. You can contact the official website, to arrange a 64bit version of the same tool. While many popular vpn client offers you both 32 and 64bit edition. The one is provided by Cisco itself. Check the link below. If this does not work then the only option remains is to install a virtual machine and then install 32bit OS on the same. That would be resource intensive but it is the only solution left. Ample of 64bit operating system supports 32bit application. Just try to install that on compatibility mode, it would help.

64Bit Cisco VPN Client

Re: 64-bit Cisco VPN Client

I am too looking for some similar help. Here I too have a 64bit system. It is a desktop. I switch my system just a couple of day ago. The vendor told me that it would be the best system and will give more performance, but I did not remember to ask him about application that I am using rightnow. I paid high for that. I am trying to run the setup of old application but not working. It was working fine in Windows XP. I contacted the support center, they said they do not have any information based on it. Now about the virtualization I want know how it actually works. My cpu supports this.

There one more thing you can do. You need to arrange a 32-bit installation DVD of Vista. Maximum 64bit operating system supports, a 32bit OS. You can install that and run the setup of regular drivers and hardware. I am not telling you to replace your existing OS, but you can dual boot. You can install 32-bit vista inside a different partition and use your old apps on it. I did the same with XP before, when my uncle was frustrated with this issue. There was a old accounting application that did not worked well on the 64BIt edition. Virtualization is not complicated but it puts tremendous pressure on your system hardware. The cpu may heatup really fast.

Yes virtualization is resource intensive but effective. 4GB of ram is quiet enough. You need to download a virtualization software. Download Virtual PC and install that in your system. You can keep Windows XP in it. Other than this if you research a bit hard on google you will find tons of vpn client. All you need is to make a list of top clients and then find the 64bit edition of same software. Cisco VPN is the most common and it has a 64bit version also. If you find that then there is no need to run a virtualization software or dual boot your system. It would be much more easier.

I have a HP notebook. It is also a 64bit system. I have Vista installed in that. Now as mentioned above someone said you can install 32bit on 64bit OS. I installed Windows XP. There was some issue related to driver, but still it works fine. I just need that for my work purpose. I got a HP Recovery CD with me. So if anything happens, I can simply restore the original OS. Virtual machine is used for many other purpose and it needs nice system.

If you are referring to the advisory message when you install VPC on a Home edition, skip it. It is just advisory. And "not supported" does NOT mean "won't run". What "support" means is phone and email support from MS. VPC runs fine on the Vista home editions. The next time you see the advisory, check the box to "don't show this message again."

Windows has its own built in VPN client. And if you can configure that you do not need any special software. It is the best one I think. You can simply run the Network connection wizard and configure the same. Just keep the list of settings ready with you. I am using the same on my 64bit system to connect to my office VPN. It works fine. The configuration is very simple here.

Windows might have a VPN client but it is not a complete software. It lacks many protocol support. So if your agency VPN is different then Windows might fail to connect on it. Using Virtual PC is just a temporary solution. Because if you started working on Virtual Client the system cannot take heavy processes. Cisco VPN is the only answer I h have for you. You must check the system specs thoroughly and discuss with different people before buying up a new computer. It can create adverse effect later on.

Hi, I can provide you my settings of configuring a Virtual PC. Ignore all advice, and install that. If your system has a enough powerful cpu with atleast 4GB ram. Check the cpu specs that it support virtualization. You have to enable that from the BIOS and then only you can move ahead. Install the Virtual PC tool. Arrange a Windows XP 32bit OS disc and then run the setup. It works same like you installation through bootable media. You just need to provide the location of disc in the tool. After configuration you need to run the driver setup or else many thing will not work. In that then install Cisco VPN client and setup the dialer. Once connected successfully you need to map the network drive.

I want to ask one more thing. I am using the virtual pc and I am on a wifi network. After configuration Windows XP, the wireless adapter failed to detect. I had tried to update the drivers. It is working in Vista, but not in XP. Is there some settings that is causing the issue.

64-bit Cisco VPN Client

I had seen that Cisco IPSec VPN client does not support 64bit OS. To deals with the issue you can try to find a IPSec client that would work with your VPN network. There are some universal vpn client available on web that supports all kind of edition. You just need to download the same import your old configuration file. One among them is NCP Secure Communication. There is a configuration guide available on the web that will help you to fix the issue.

Try SonicWall Global VPN client. There is a edition for 64-bit OS. There are tons of vpn client that you can download from web, which offer you 64bit support. Running a Virtual PC might make your system to perform a bit slower.