Thread: Constant BSOD Windows Vista x64 system

Constant BSOD Windows Vista x64 system

I had installed Windows Vista x64 on separate system for some testing. I had checked all my hardware is connected well. Now I do not understand why I am getting constant BSOD on it. The system crash only in normal mode. When I boot in Safe Mode, it works fine and does not give issue. So it looks there is something which is causing the problem. How can I locate the same. I had tried to re-install Vista a number of time, but nothing worked here. I have a Compaq Presario SR1630NX Desktop PC. It is a branded system, there is no additional hardware installed in it. The error reflects some -DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. The screen freezes on the error and then reboots. I had verified all installed hardware in my system. All looks working fine. I had checked Windows Update also. In Safe Mode I had tried to disable some from the startup. The last time when I saw the error it was related to some ndis.sys file.

There can be some hardware issue. What was the old operating system installed on it. Is it was Windows XP x64. I had visited the official driver support site for this desktop. I found that there full set of drivers only available for Windows XP. There is nothing available for Vista x64. And I am quiet sure you are trying to install those old drivers in your system. Due to which you are getting the blue screen error.

It is correct. Even I cannot locate drivers for that OS. But I had seen Windows XP drivers are quiet compatible with Vista. If that is not working there is nothing you can do. The chipset does not supports a 64bit OS. Did you verified in the documentation that you receive with desktop. Is it really a 64bit system or you are trying to forcefully install it on 32bit architecture. in Safe Mode there are minimum services working. Even the display driver does not work well. So that is why the system is stable. If you add new stuff it will crash and give you really hard time for troubleshooting the same. Try installing a 32bit edition of Vista and then see whether it crashes or not.

Vista is quiet buggy OS. I had commonly notice that a number of drivers simply crash on it. While Windows XP is far more stable. I do not know why people us Windows Vista. I have a x64 server which by mistake was upgraded to Vista. And after that I face many failure. I had upgraded ram but that too did not helped much. The issue lied with a NIC driver which only work on XP.

This is a bit of common problem with number of system. I had seen this Realtek driver is very much buggy with x64 systems. I am looking for a solution and yet not found any. That is why I can't upgrade to Windows Vista. There are other 4 workstations which has Vista 32bit and they work fine. There is no error no crashes. Now there is no way in the world you can downgrade the system to 32-bit. It is not at all a smart investment. If there are right drivers, then this kind of issue will never appear.