Thread: DCOM CRASHING MY COMPUTER!!!

Dcom Crashing My Computer!!!

I need some serious help here to fix my crashing system. I have a workstation that has around 8GB RAM, and Dual Opetron DualCore cpu. First I was filed to install Windows XP 64-bit on the same. I had tried to did a number of things here but nothing worked out. Somehow the system is not able to work quietly for few hours. This workstation is working behind NAT. When I checked in Event Viewer about the errors I found something related to Windows registry. Another error listed was related to permission. I am not good in reading those log files in Event Viewer. I need some help here. Now when I launch Windows Security Center the same also crashes. What should I do know to fix this out.

Re: DCOM CRASHING MY COMPUTER!!!

It looks there is some problem with the system hardware. Did you verified all the drivers and cause of error. With such minimum information no one here can help you. If possible you can post the entire log file to give more idea about the issue. The system crash may be due to some hardware which is failed to perform well. Update your BIOS once and then try back. Or simply disconnect the hardware which are not needed and then try to test the system.

How did you assume that DCOM can be the reason behind that. You had mentioned nothing about it in your question. Check the event logs properly. They are the only source of information based on error. There must be a warning or error related to crash. You can simply post the same here or analyze that code to reach the root of problem. When the system crash what is the first thing you see on your screen. Is it a error, freezing issue or bsod. If the system is working slower then you must check the Task Manager. Under Processes you can find ample of stuff located.

Check for DCOM entires in the event log. If you cannot find anything then you can consider this as normal. You can try to run the system in safe mode. If i that also the system crash then check the Windows edition you are using. It must be completely compatible with your all hardware. If any of those is not proper your system will keep on crashing a number of time.

I have two workstations. Among which one is not working properly. It is a fresh setup. I checked the DCOM settings in Windows which showed only one error. Does verifying the windows registry would give any help here. What tools are available here that we can use to test the hardware. There must be something. A bootable disc or any specific utility that can check each and every hardware one by one and give me the detail of faulty one.

Yes there is one utility but that is for RAM testing. There can be issue with your system RAM. 8Gigs is quiet high. So if there are multiple sticks then some of it might not be working well which is causing this crash. With error code were just tracing phantoms. You need to find manually which hardware is responsible for the crash. We can start by running a memory test. For that download MemTest and burn the same on a DVD. You can then boot your system with that and scan it. It will check each memory for errors and will give you result if any is located.

Memtest is a nice tool. You can scan for errors and remove if here is any faulty disc. But if nothing is found then the other thing left is checking the drivers. Or a bit complicated work here. Install single ram stick and boot your system. Keep doing this until you locate the faulty one. If all are working then the next thing you can go is with cpu test. Intel offers a cpu diagnostic utility which is capable of scanning and locating problem with the processor. Updating bios might help you much. Check your motherboard specification also and verify against them hardware you are using.

Swap the ram sticks and check. I was working on a similar 64bit workstation which was not ready to boot. I checked the ram specification where I located that if the ram MHz is not common in all sticks the system will not all work fine. Sometime the RAM sockets are the one which are responsible for the crash. The motherboard bios can help you a little, but it looks to have some kind of serious issue with the internal ram sticks you own.

That is a nice guess I think. The processor looks to be working fine. But what really matters is managing the memory. There are chances that your motherboard or processor might not work properly with so much ram installed. Reduce some of them and then see.

I work for a hardware company and come across this kind of issue. It is a bit complicated to locate the issue here. What I did, is first replace a spare single core processor. Then use Prime 95 to test the system output. This give me the stability idea. Because if the system crashes then the RAM is not capable of giving a better output. If there is any issue with the processor, then you would get error related to it. But this different. Stability testing offers you to find more information on various stuff. To start with the test disconnect all additional hardware from your system. Just keep the keyboard, mouse and monitor connected. That's all. Now the second thing you can do is verify the power supply. As you have a quiet high end system there are possibility that it may not be able to give optimum power. Get a bigger one. This will sort out many kinds of problem.

I had seen many dcom errors. They normally has problem with the network setup. You need to contact your network admin to get fix of the same. While about the PSU mentioned above is right. You need minimum 600w psu for that kind of system and it is much better if you put a bit higher. I faced the issue with low powersupply which I came to know about a month ago. I was getting a slow system and constant crashing. I had replaced the motherboard, ram and even the cpu. Atlast I changed the psu and everything worked quiet well till know.

After going through all the post I found that the issue looks to be more with virus than with the ram sticks. And above all a new system has a less chances of getting infection. But somehow it is possible that your network may have some infections. For heavy systems you need to buy more durable products. This consist of motherboard and psu. If you add anything there are chances of getting this kind of errors. The same thing is applicable for cooling. Check the bios settings. There would be some voltage or cpu tweaker stuff that will help you to fix the issue. You can reduce the same to make it a bit more better.

I know how to Fix your computer from crashing

Your issue is not really hardware related. I ran into the same issue with our new Quad Core 8 GB of RAM computer with Windows XP 64. It did the same thing yours did, restarted on its own. I thought it had something to do with the PAR1284.sys file but it didn't.

Enough with the problem here is the solution:

It is caused be the Protected Storage Service which the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is a dependency. So you need to goto to Administrative Tools > Services and double click on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC). In the Properties Menu goto the recovery tab and set "Take No Action" on the First Failure, Second Failure and Subsequent Failure. and then click OK. This will set the same setting for the Protected Storage but you might want to double click on the Protected Storage and goto the Recovery Tab to make sure it did, if not repeat the directions the same for RPC.

the underlying issue is anything over 3.99 GB's Microsoft sets to auto protect and with the 8 GB of RAM it would try to keep the computer from accessing the RAM by restarting.

Also on anything over 4GB's, Microsoft had a brainfart and the Paging File actually slows down the computer. You should go into the Virtual Memory and set it for "No Paging File". This will give you the ease of accessing the RAM without Window's Policing every Parity of RAM.

Peace out, Brother from a different Mother.

Your issue is not really hardware related. I ran into the same issue with our new Quad Core 8 GB of RAM computer with Windows XP 64. It did the same thing yours did, restarted on its own. I thought it had something to do with the PAR1284.sys file but it didn't.

Enough with the problem here is the solution:

It is caused be the Protected Storage Service which the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is a dependency. So you need to goto to Administrative Tools > Services and double click on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC). In the Properties Menu goto the recovery tab and set "Take No Action" on the First Failure, Second Failure and Subsequent Failure. and then click OK. This will set the same setting for the Protected Storage but you might want to double click on the Protected Storage and goto the Recovery Tab to make sure it did, if not repeat the directions the same for RPC.

the underlying issue is anything over 3.99 GB's Microsoft sets to auto protect and with the 8 GB of RAM it would try to keep the computer from accessing the RAM by restarting.

Also on anything over 4GB's, Microsoft had a brainfart and the Paging File actually slows down the computer. You should go into the Virtual Memory and set it for "No Paging File". This will give you the ease of accessing the RAM without Window's Policing every Parity of RAM.

Peace out, Brother from a different Mother.